"A day in the life (instrumental version)" Geir covers the Beatles (again.... )

Started by Geir, November 25, 2023, 12:09:37 PM

Geir

A Day in the Life (instrumental version)
Performed by Geir
Time:
0:00
Volume:
GeirSingsTheBeatles (banner image missing)

This has been a labour of love. Started is after hearing JP's wonderful version and then I remembered that 64 Guitars had challenged me to do an instrumental version after I posted my litlr version back in 2013? 

Obviously the Jeff Beck version was bound to be an influence, but I chose a slightly different path. I found a midi file that I used as a guide track initially but I scrapped all its tracks along the way. When I had a decent backing track I started noodling the lead, quickly deciding that I should follow the original vocals. I must have done a dozen takes before yesterday I finally got one I was happy with. But ........ I hadn't tuned my guitar properly, it was I hair sharp. (I'm turning into a pitch-nazi  ::) ) So today I gave it another go. And finally I am quite pleased with the result. I think this is the only time I've had the lyrics in front of me while playing a lead guitar. Hmmmmm ....

Along the way I also had some challenges. What to do with the orchestral crescendo? How to implement the bridge before the last verse?  Well, the bridge was just a matter of harmonizing with the guitar, but for the crescendo I had to get inventive. I pulled out my ebow and a bottleneck (from an Australian red wine-bottle) and recorded multiple slides up one octave from e and b. Turned out quite massive:).

So the final result is me playing everything. Guitars, bass, Hammond organ and drums. I did cheat a bit with the drums and quantized the kick and snare; and the toms. But hey, I'm not a drummer.

Well this is it. I think it's the tenth cover of this song on songcrafters.  Hope I've done it some justice.

Oh and the guitar is a Tele, but I guess y'all had figured that out  ;D

Cheers
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

StephenM

mesmo, as they say in Brasil... which means cool or great...

yes... this sounds massive and great... the lead is so the vocal... pro Geir...

take a bow, you did a superb job and all your efforts are noticeable.... epic EPIC ENDING

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

thetworegs

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

64Guitars

Great cover Geir! I love the lead guitar tone. And the crescendos sound amazing. Well done!

This gives me an idea. Don't be surprised if "Beatles Instrumentals Fest" is in the poll choices next April (can't do it January because that's when we have our "Lost in 2023" fest). The idea of the fest would be to cover any Beatles song as an instrumental. No vocals allowed.

We're not worthy. ;D

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Jean Pierre

64 guitars said

QuoteThis gives me an idea. Don't be surprised if "Beatles Instrumentals Fest" is in the poll choices next April

great idea...can't wait to try it!

Gear, your version est vraiment une superbe travail, respect

How did you do the chromatic rise in the transitions? 

I was waiting for you in the second sung part, Paul's, and you really came through! ...I had given up trying to do it on the dobro because this part turns on 3 or 4 notes and it sounded very bad on the dobro :D
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Oldrottenhead

massive, i have been playing the new remastered red and blue albums on the car and love the remix of this on the new albums. This is fabulous, great to see and hear you around again brother.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Love this......flipping love this.....and yes, I love this...what an ending......bravo

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Mike_S

The work really was worth it, and it was good to read your process of putting it together. Those multi layered crescendos sound massive. Very sensitive and beautifully done on the melody throughout. It is a great song... superb on every front - a great listen.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

BerryPatch

Amazing job Geir! This reminds me of a surf rock instrumental version I've seen of Now And Then (with a beautiful blue Fender Jaguar). That Tele sounds spectacular and your phrasing is lovely. You captured the elements to this epic opus super well, very impressive!