Massachusetts - Bee Gees Cover by des0free

Started by des0free, March 25, 2021, 06:21:28 PM

des0free

Massachusetts
Time:
0:00
Volume:
BeeGeesFest (banner image missing)

Stayed up late last night and whipped this out and mixed it today.  Have been listening to the fest songs and just now binge-listened to the whole jukebox, and commented on most of them --  Wow that is a great collection of songs and great collection of very talented individuals who did awesome covers!

Recording info:
- Everything recorded via the Zoom R24, with guitars and vocals recorded using the built in mics, mixed and mastered in Reaper
- Taylor GS mini guitar, recorded FOUR times (one panned left, one panned right, and two more takes with chords transposed -5 and guitar capo'd +5 and also panned left/right) (does it actually create a richer sound?  I think so!)
- Fender Mustang Bass through Waves GTR plugin
- Two tracks of strings sounds from Casio CT-X3000 keyboard
- Drum pattern from EZ Drummer

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Brilliant! This one brings back memories as I remember this from when I was a kid and saw them on Top of the Pops in the UK. You did a fantastic job here, great vocals with a really nice call back. The arrangement is fab, the guitar does sound nice and rich but it's the strings that really work well and make this sound very lush. It's all very nicely mixed and produced as well.

Great job, really enjoyed hearing this!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Pete C

Lovely cover !  This is one I also remember hearing as a small kid. The vocals are great and I love the strings and guitars !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

Those strings are so lush. I like the tenderness and authenticity of this. It's a great cover and a great performance.

Jean Pierre

In fact it was the Bee Gees that I liked when I heard it in 1967 (after the disco period, not for me)
The song was a response to the flower power movement then in vogue in the United States and marked by songs like San Francisco ...
Very well done...the strings are quite amazing, the vocals are just perfect congratulations, my friend
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

TPB

As with most Bee Gees songs they are hard on the vocal chords but it sounds like you did not have any problems the vocals mixed with the strings are nice
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

T.C. Elliott

From the first strums I was gonna say this reminds me of some of the good "easy listening" folk influenced rock of the 70's and then I see that it is a cover. I've heard this song before but wouldn't have recognized the lyric without your cover tag. (The melody was definitely familiar.)

I do like the sound you have here. From the vocal to the guitars and the strings etc.,.. Thanks for sharing your recording technique, too. I appreciate sharing cool tips, tricks and techniques.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

this is very very nice Des....I use my zoom mics now almost exclusively...it's so easy and they don't sound bad at all...  and I have been recording a bit on the Zoom and mixing on bandlab...

I had kind of forgotten this song...you did a great job and now I remember it again...it is a really nice song...
the guitars sound great but I am not able to tell if there is a big difference or not...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

TPB

After a couple more listens think this one needs a bump appreciate it the more I listen the more I hear
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

cuthbert

Excellent cover, des - especially the nice attention paid to detail on the strings. Very well performed, recorded, and mixed!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase