Vote for the Nov/Dec 2018 "Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, October 23, 2018, 12:30:08 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from November 1 to December 31. Voting starts now and runs for 7 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on October 30th. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Covers" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Originals" festival. Please vote in both polls.

Remember, "Covers" is covers only, and "Originals" is originals preferred but covers welcome unless otherwise stated in the festival's description.

I think the choices are pretty self-explanatory, so I'll only add that a list of Post-Punk bands can be found on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-punk_bands

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

Would these bands also count? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-punk_revival_bands

And I'm wondering if The Offspring or Green Day would count as well? They are on neither list. It's odd that the R.E.M. is listed (but then I've not listened to a ton of their material of late) but a band like... say, Motorhead isn't. I'm not sure either band would be a prime example of post-punk or should be included, but the latter band was more punk than most, imo. I don't mean to be a nitpicker and it'll probably be up to the discretion of the covering artist, but I figured a little clarification might be in order.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on October 28, 2018, 06:53:57 AMWould these bands also count? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-punk_revival_bands

And I'm wondering if The Offspring or Green Day would count as well? They are on neither list. It's odd that the R.E.M. is listed (but then I've not listened to a ton of their material of late) but a band like... say, Motorhead isn't. I'm not sure either band would be a prime example of post-punk or should be included, but the latter band was more punk than most, imo. I don't mean to be a nitpicker and it'll probably be up to the discretion of the covering artist, but I figured a little clarification might be in order.

Sorry, T.C. I only just noticed your message today. Not sure how I missed it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't even aware of post-punk as a genre until it came up as a choice for this poll so I don't have a definitive answer to your questions. But I've asked the admin team for their thoughts and, hopefully, I'll reply here with a better answer after we've discussed it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

As with many genres, it's difficult to determine exactly what defines a song that fits the post-punk genre. Our festivals need to have a clear focus, so we've decided to only accept songs by bands in the Wikipedia list of post-punk bands and only if the song was released between 1978 and 1984 inclusively. Those are the years that define the post-punk era according to Simon Reynolds in his book "Rip It Up and Start Again". I'm sure there are plenty of examples of post-punk music outside of those years, but for the purposes of our festival we won't accept songs that were released outside that date range. For example, although R.E.M. is in the Wikipedia list of post-punk bands, we won't accept covers of their hits such as "The One I Love" (1987) or "Losing My Religion" (1991) since they were released after 1984. We will, however, accept covers of songs from their first two albums ("Murmur" and "Reckoning") which were released in 1983 and 1984 respectively.

Before submitting anything for Post-Punk Fest, please check Wikipedia to make sure the band is on the list and the song was released between 1978 and 1984.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website