error-lost old recordings

Started by tolga, August 18, 2018, 02:55:44 PM

tolga

hello, as i was recording a new song today, suddenly micro br screen started flashing and i tried to turn it off by pressing the power button, but it did not work and i unplugged the power chord. When i restarted my micro br, i couldn't find any of my previous recordings. looks like i lost everything on the card. does anybody have any experience in recovering the lost recordings from the micro br's SD card?
thanks,
tolga
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Yamaha Pacifica 112VM

Fender Squire

64Guitars

The first thing to check is whether the SD card's file system is corrupt or it's just that the Micro BR can't read it. To do that, power off the Micro BR and remove the SD card. Put the card into the SD card slot of your computer or an attached USB memory card reader and take a look at the card in your operating system's file manager program. Can you see the usual files and folders? There should be a ROLAND folder in the root directory. Inside the ROLAND folder should be a BR0 folder. Inside the BR0 folder should be one or more song folders with names like SONG0001.BR0, SONG0002.BR0, etc. Inside each song folder should be a bunch of files with the extension ".BR0". For example, the file TAKE_DAT.BR0 contains the actual audio data for the song, though not in a format that you can play directly.

If all the files and folders look okay, you should back up everything then put a new card in the Micro BR and initialize it (see page 117 of the Micro BR manual). Create a new song project on the BR, then copy the files from one of your backed-up song folders into the newly-created song folder on the BR. With any luck, the song should play and you should be able to continue working with that song project, adding new tracks, editing, etc. I'd recommend using BR Song Librarian to backup the individual songs and restore them to a new SD card, but you should also do a full backup of the card for safety (see pages 109 and 110 of the Micro BR manual).

If your computer can't read the SD card or the files and folders are missing or don't look right, then the SD card is probably corrupt. That will happen if you disconnect the power while the BR is writing to the SD card. If that's the case, then I'm afraid the songs may be lost. However, there are some memory card recovery programs available that you could try. If you're lucky, they might be able to restore some of the damaged files.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website