Do dynamic mics need phantom power.

Started by Oldrottenhead, January 31, 2018, 10:05:33 AM

Oldrottenhead

Hi i bought some new xlr cables for my dynamic mics, to use with my br800. Am i right in thinking they do not need phantom power turned on, that is just for condensor mics?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

That's correct. In fact, phantom power can damage dynamic mics and/or the phantom-powered device input that they're plugged into. So always make sure that phantom power is turned off before you connect a dynamic mic. The danger is at the instant when you plug the mic in, so turning it off after is too late.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

cheers good sir.

i need to invest in a condensor mic at some point.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

TPB

Well if you are on a budget like most of us the MXL make some decent Condensers at entry level price 900 series, Next step up would be the Rodes 220
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: TPB on February 01, 2018, 06:36:57 AMWell if you are on a budget like most of us the MXL make some decent Condensers at entry level price 900 series, Next step up would be the Rodes 220
Tim

I agree with Tim's recommendation of MXL condenser mics. In particular the models 2001, VG67, and 990. They all sound good and are very reasonably priced. Make sure to get the the shock mount holder also.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

IanR

Condensor mics sre good for vocals and acoustic instruments but often don't like too much sound pressure. You could try the audio technica AT2020 as well. Not too pricey but pretty good in my opinion.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Flash Harry

Some dynamic mics, such as the Shure SM58 and 58Beta have transformers in the mic body which isolate the mic capsule from the cable and any kit downstream.

This means that the 48v Phantom power doe not get through to the capsule and won't damage it. Cheaper dynamic mics may not have the transformer and will be damaged by the phantom power. There are some people who claim that they can hear the difference between an SM58 that has not ever had phantom power applied and an SM58 that has. I'm skeptical that this is the case.

I can heartily recommend the Rode NT1A, it's a nice warm sounding vocal mic with very impressive noise figures. It needs a decent pre-amp with phantom power to make it work. Worth the investment.

I have also got the SE Electronics H1 hand-held condenser mic which I have used for live work. These provide more presence and air than an SM58, but are much more sensitive. The cardioid pattern is different from the SM58 and its a bit of a bugger for feedback.

Other decent dynamic mics I have used are SM57 for instruments and the Sennheiser E835 for vocals, both of which don't mind a bit of phantom power.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Vanncad

+1 on the AT2020.
It's a good sounding mic.
I've got one. I think it was $100 CAD (about the same price range as SM58/SM57)
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover