A practical example of how to cut unwanted freqs with a Boss BR sought please

Started by Super 8, October 15, 2017, 03:06:19 AM

Super 8

Following on from a previous post ....

Could some kind person on here who uses a BOSS BR series recorder (ideally a BR1600 which is the recorder I own) give me an actual practical example of exactly how to cut unwanted frequencies from an individual recorded track?

Let's say, BASS GUITAR. What would I need to do using the EQ functions built into the BR1600 (eg: Shelve/Peak? 'Q'??) to actually filter out/cut out all the unwanted frequencies above and below the sound just leaving said recorded bass part?

I get how equalisation works in order to shape/alter the 'tone' of a sound but that's not really what I'm trying to achieve as I'm liking (again, for example) the bass sound I get. I just want to know HOW to filter out/cut out all the extraneous, unwanted frequencies 'around the recorded sound'. All the stuff that takes up unneccessary broadband space within a given track and accummulatively ends up adding noisefloor 'mud'/too much energy to the final stereo mixdown. Any takers?

PS: In a nutshell this practical skill is, in essence, what I've been been trying to establish how to do (for some time now!) I seemingly went off on the wrong tangent in my previous post! If I can just crack how to remove these unwanted freqs in my tracks (using this BR1600 standalone machine I have at my disposal ie: not with a computer) then I'll be happy and can finally get on with the sonic jobs in hand! As things stand this end I'm STILL a bit stuck with this whole 'filtering out' concept hence asking for help by way of an actual PRACTICAL example of exactly how to do this specific to the Boss/Roland unit I use to record my music with. I was thinking/hoping that, of all the forums 'out there', this one that was originally started for Boss products might perhaps hold the answer here? THANKS IN ADVANCE! ;)        

Farrell Jackson

I don't have a Boss BR recorder but most machine's EQ work the same. Here's a Tascam EQ chart that might be helpful to you. It tells you what the expected results of adding or removing frequencies (starting at 50hz on up) will be on specific instruments. When I get baffled while eqing an instrument track for presence or things are sounding muddy in the overall mix, I refer to this chart and it always helps me get there. One rule of thumb I use to keep the low end from building up is to drop all the low eq I can. A lot of instruments have no need for any eq below 400hz so I remove all I can. That really helps with overall clarity. After you drop the low end, it might sound strange or too bright when the instrument is solo'ed out but how it sounds in the mix is what counts. Here's the link:

http://www.recordingeq.com/Subscribe/tip/tascam.htm

Best of luck on your EQ quest.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Super 8

Thanks Farell, that looks really helpful! Now I just need someone to chip in and explain to me how to physically put this into practice - ideally step-by-step! I don't know what it is I'm supposed to do having never used the EQ section of the BR1600 on all my recordings to date - I've never gone there but I've a feelin' I really need to learn how to manipulate this function!  ??? 

Hook

Quote from: Super 8 on October 15, 2017, 09:19:29 AM! I don't know what it is I'm supposed to do having never used the EQ section of the BR1600 on all my recordings to date - I've never gone there but I've a feelin' I really need to learn how to manipulate this function!  ??? 
I, by no means have any real insight into your dilemma but I would say your first step is too get into your eq. I assume it's a three band, hi, middle & lows. Take your bass, you don't need the hi so take it out. I can't say what hz to take out but like Farrell said each instrument has unneeded frequencies. A good friend of mine records the sound he wants/likes, then starts at the flat line and only takes away frequencies, never adding. This makes sense if the goal is to eliminate the unwanted frequencies. I can't say I practice this but I have heard his recordings on the radio and they sounded fine. Use that chart and start playing with your eq, I'm gonna print it off.
Good luck.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely