Secret weapons

Started by leighelse, September 10, 2016, 11:26:17 PM

Oldrottenhead

a sharp pencil and some blank sheets of A4.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

Secret recording weapons? Not so secret but here are the things I rely on or couldn't do without.

1. FMR Audio RNC compressor - I use this on all tracks that require a mic and on some that go direct like a bass track. It's very transparent at managing peaks and is very hard to over compress with it.

2. Behringer DPS9024 6 band compressor. Each band is fully adjustable for freq., attack, release, threshold, harmonic distortion, limiter output level, and tube selection. It also has this nice feature called virtuoso that adjust the overall compression automatically after it samples the music source. The auto selections are light, med., heavy, X-heavy. I tend to use the light setting on my final stereo buss outs. It's also analog which gives a bit of warmth to the final result. Not all Behringer products work well but this one does. I do my final mix with it, sort of like using LANDR.

3. Audacity - I use this freebee program on every song and on some tracks. If I have a track that for some reason has a lot of peaks or lows I will manually drop the peaks or bring up the valleys slightly. Not a lot but enough to keep it sounding natural. I also use it to clean up the beginnings and endings of songs and for MP3 conversion.

Those are the things I would have to buy another or find a substitute if they failed.

Farrell  
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

leighelse

Quote from: Hook on September 12, 2016, 04:28:17 AMI also like to keep a healthy amount of drama, conflict and misery in my back pocket at all times.

I remember my angst-ridden teenage years, when songs flowed continually from the bath of raw hormones and emotions!
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Hook

I have 4 kids ages 6-15. 2  teenage girls & to adopted kids that spent 5 years in foster care. Lots of drama, conflict and misery for me to draw upon.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

My Kemper - without a shadow of doubt. If it broke tomorrow - I'd have to go and buy a replacement. It is quite unique as a profiler - it is not a modeller.

If you are not convinced, watch this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJ_H5PiuTE

Not so secret tho :-)

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Flash Harry

There's a 6 band compressor! I have been looking for something like that for live work, eBay time. Bugger that GAS! Thanks Farrell
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

Somebody here in town has a Kemper (toaster) for $1450 and I just can't even begin to fathom any justification.
I did however just agree to buy  2002 MIM Fender Strat tomorrow...oh man its a problem...a deep problem.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: Flash Harry on September 13, 2016, 04:17:18 PMThere's a 6 band compressor! I have been looking for something like that for live work, eBay time. Bugger that GAS! Thanks Farrell

I glad to to be of help with your GAS attack Flash lol! The Behringer DPS 9024 is discontinued so you'll have to pick one up used but I imagine they made a lot of them. As I mentioned it's one of the good things Behringer came up with. Good luck with your search!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Flash Harry

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on September 13, 2016, 05:59:27 PMI glad to to be of help with your GAS attack Flash lol! The Behringer DPS 9024 is discontinued so you'll have to pick one up used but I imagine they made a lot of them. As I mentioned it's one of the good things Behringer came up with. Good luck with your search!

Farrell
I love the Behringer DDX3216 so much that I have bought three...

It's a fantastic digital mixing desk with motorised faders, digital signal processing, internal routing, four aux outputs, 32 internal channels with 16 physically accessible at any one time, with the ADAT interfaces the expansion possibilities are phenomenal and despite the bad press that Behringer get, this is a really reliable bit of kit once you have done the Power Supply mod (replace all the cheap Chinese electrolytics with good quality ones).

I also have the DSP8024 which is the stereo digital graphic EQ with feedback suppression and room equalisation which is pretty good.

I get why people don't like them, but if you are prepared to put a bit of effort into their products, you reap the rewards.

I've been looking for the 9024. I bet it's the 8024 with different software in....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mike_S

Ok, so been thinking about this question for a little while now and I just realised... it's Lilly!!!

Yes, so on my daily walk with my dog Lilly, this is the time my mind is really free. I forget who I am, where I am and get lost in thought. It is also the time when songs can sometimes start popping into my head... and these days I have started thinking of lyrics during the walk too. Seems to come much easier than when I am sat at home.

So big up to my dog!

:)

recorder
iPad GarageBand