GAS is a disease!

Started by Hook, July 11, 2016, 03:34:44 PM

IanR

Phantom power:

Condenser mics have a little pre-amp built into them to get their signal up to line level to send to the mixer or recording device. Phantom power (48 volts) is sent up the mic cable to the mic from the device they are hooked into. It is not needed for dynamic mics, so the phantom power is sometimes switchable. Condenser mics have become much more common and cheaper over the past few years, so more and more home studio devices cater for them.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Blooby

I just emerged from a very busy time of year and am counting my blessings for it. Along with my relative freedom, comes with it a sense of fiscal irresponsibility untoforetold (I just made that word up) since the now infamous, "'I'd rather eat Spam for two years than sacrifice the quality of my Mellotron sounds,' winter of '09," by Bosko Schwartz.

Those last two sentences were a bitch to punctuate. I still don't  know if they're accurate.

Watch this space...

Blooby

Flash Harry

I secretly think that you'd rather go without underwear than sacrifice... oh yeah, you'd just rather go without underwear...
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

kenny mac

I'm needing new recording gear as my stand alone CD burner is on its way out and my vs840 is a Zip drive.
I bought an sd conversion kit that 64 told me about but I'm scared to try it in case I bugger the vs up >:(
I was thinking about the new Tascam 32sd.
Still not sure.
Im still not sold on computer only recording.
If I did I would like a more mixer type console with the software.
I don't realy like the plug in box type.
I like the hands on slider type.
I'm still thinking about it.

Geir

BR800 ? Works both as a stand-alone and as an interface
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Kenny, have a look at the BCF 2000 8 fader control surface. It's a midi controller you can bolt into your DAW. I think they're pretty cool. I use it with reaper but they work with others. 
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Quote from: kenny mac on July 16, 2016, 04:24:54 AMIm still not sold on computer only recording.
If I did I would like a more mixer type console with the software.
I don't realy like the plug in box type.
I like the hands on slider type.

As Flash Harry said, the Behringer BCF2000 will give you the hands-on control you're looking for. And it's pretty cool with its motorized faders.

However, since you already have a BR-800 (according to your signature), why not test the DAW waters using the BR-800 as a control surface. This will allow you to adjust each track's level using the BR's faders. Then, if you decide you like working with a DAW, you can think about adding a BCF2000. I believe the CD or DVD that came with your BR-800 includes a copy of SONAR-LE which should be more than adequate to get started. However, it's only for Windows. If you're a Mac user, you'll have to find another DAW (REAPER, for example).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

There are only 2 reasons to go to the Tascam 32 (or 24? its plenty) is if you need 8 inputs simultaneously or if you want more faders to mix. I can't wait to try & do some mixing with my DP24, I think it's gonna be a great machine but I haven't really used mine yet.
Ir you don't need more than 4 inputs and are OK with bouncing I would think the BR800 would be perfect.
I hate DAW so don't go that way but if you have to get something new go with either the Tascam 24sd or the 32sd.
Rock on brother!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

fenderbender

Quote from: Johnny Robbo on July 12, 2016, 09:49:05 AMI'm beginning to think I might be ill! I don't know what's happened to me! My wife has just had a big-ish payout from her ex-employer as an out of court settlement for stuff they put her through (I could tell you more, but I'd have to kill you - they made her sign a gagging clause). Anyway... this is money that has to last until another job comes along, but she said "why don't we each treat ourselves to something?" She bought a new laptop for £250 & I was allowed to spend the same on a new guitar... couldn't find a single thing I wanted.

Strat? Got one already.

Tele? Got one already.

Les Paul? Got one already.

Acoustic? Used to have one & sold it 'cos it didn't get played.

Semi-acoustic? Used to have one & sold it 'cos it didn't get played.

New pedal? All the sounds I need are already there in the Tonelab.

In the end, I went to Cash Converters & bought a used netbook for £70 to use when I'm not near the office PC. No idea what I want to spend the rest on & I don't want to blow money for the sake of it so it'll just end up getting spent on a gas bill or similar.

Never thought I'd see the day when I turn down the chance of a new guitar. What IS wrong with me?  ??? ???
Congratulations John
You are a brave man to stand up and say -I dont need a new guitar ;D
Many have tried before you and fallen at the last hurdle-
John you could play a sweeping brush with strings on it and make it sound classy -so you are right
there is hope for us all out there -
Congrats

Tommy
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-600

Johnny Robbo

Quote from: fenderbender on July 17, 2016, 01:09:16 AMCongratulations John
You are a brave man to stand up and say -I dont need a new guitar ;D
Many have tried before you and fallen at the last hurdle-
John you could play a sweeping brush with strings on it and make it sound classy -so you are right
there is hope for us all out there -
Congrats

Tommy

I think the fact I didn't jump at the chance of a new guitar even surprised the missus! "Who are you & what have you done with my husband?" were her actual words! Still, it just means I've got a few points in the bank when she decides she "needs" more shoes or yet another handbag  ;D
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk