Vote for the Jan/Feb 2014 "Theme/Genre" festival

Started by 64Guitars, December 23, 2013, 08:45:36 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from January 1 to February 28. Voting starts now and runs for 7 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on December 30/31 (depending on your time zone). To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

This poll is for the "Theme/Genre" festival. There is a separate poll for the "Artists/Covers" festival here:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=20109.0

Please vote in both polls.

As always, we encourage you to write an original song for the Theme/Genre festival, but covers are welcome too.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

No Strings - Must use non-stringed instruments only (keyboards, drums/percussion, woodwinds, brass, Kaossilators, phone apps, vocals, etc.) No guitars, bass guitars, ukuleles, violins, cellos, etc. If you use a keyboard or phone app, you can't use patches that emulate stringed instruments (violins, cellos, etc.)

ResponseFest - Original songs that are a reply/response to an existing song. For example, a response to "Help Me Rhonda" by The Beach Boys ("help me Rhonda, help me get her out of my heart") would be a song from Rhonda's perspective replying to a guy who is basically asking her to be a rebound.

JingleFest - Write an advertising jingle for any product or service; real or imagined. Or cover your favourite jingle.
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha

Oldrottenhead

i assume no strings also includes pianos and harpsichords etc
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

steelguitar

Quote from: danieldesete on December 24, 2013, 01:34:55 AMAnd what's an odd time signature ?

I am agree with Daniel : what is a "odd time signatures" fest??? ???
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Hook

NO STRINGS!!!NO STRINGS!!!NO STRINGS!!!NO STRINGS!!!NO STRINGS!!!NO STRINGS!!!NO STRINGS!!! ::) ::)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: steelguitar on December 24, 2013, 07:18:33 AM
Quote from: danieldesete on December 24, 2013, 01:34:55 AMAnd what's an odd time signature ?

I am agree with Daniel : what is a "odd time signatures" fest??? ???

Odd time signatures are also known as complex, irregular, unusual, or asymmetric (Mesures asymétriques).

Most of the songs posted here at Songcrafters are in 4/4 time and sometimes 3/4. The idea of odd time signature fest is to get away from those common time signatures and try something different like 5/4, 7/8, etc.

Examples of popular songs in odd time signatures are Pink Floyd's "Money" (7/4 except for the guitar solo section which is in 4/4), Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" (also 7/4), and Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Take Five" (5/4). Of course, you don't have to do a cover. Original songs in odd time signatures are most welcome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature#Complex_time_signatures

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

So if we indeed have a 3 way tie, rather than do each fest individually over 6 months we should do a no strings, odd time signature drinking song fest? Or every one can change their vote to No Strings ::)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

OK maybe a no strings, odd time signature surf music fest...sounds like a challenge!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely