Vote for the Nov/Dec 2013 "Artists/Covers" festival

Started by 64Guitars, October 28, 2013, 01:23:54 PM

64Guitars

It's time to vote for our next two festivals which will run from November 1 to December 31. Voting starts now and runs for 4 days. You can change your vote any time until the closing of the poll on November 2. To do so, click "Remove vote" to cancel your previous vote, then vote again.

The "Theme/Genre" festival was decided last time by our tie-breaker poll:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=19356.0

So, the Theme/Genre festival for Nov/Dec 2013 is:

Alternate Tunings - Songs played on a guitar or other stringed instrument with an alternate tuning.

"Off the Beaten Track" is covers of obscure songs that never charted or are not so well known. Hopefully, the rest of the choices are pretty obvious. If not, ask for clarification here.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha

ODH

Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

steelguitar

Quote from: danieldesete on October 29, 2013, 09:59:44 AMThis has to be a Lou Reed Tribute festival.

It has to be. Obviously. Naturally.

Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

64Guitars

Lou Reed Fest is well in the lead, though there are still two days of voting left and things could change.

I noticed an interesting connection between the two festivals. While looking at the Wikipedia page for "The Velvet Underground & Nico", I noticed that Lou Reed is credited with playing Ostrich Guitar on "Venus in Furs" and "All Tomorrow's Parties". I didn't know what that was so I clicked on the link and learned that it's an alternate tuning where all of the strings are tuned to one note ('D' in the case of "Venus in Furs"). Reed coined the term when he first used that tuning on a song called "The Ostrich" by his pre-Velvet Underground band The Primitives. So there are at least three opportunities for double fest submissions if anyone wants to cover those songs in ostrich tuning.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

i am assuming we can also delve into john cale and nico's back catolouge.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Flash Harry

Quote from: oldrottenhead on November 01, 2013, 07:08:32 AMi am assuming we can also delve into john cale and nico's back catolouge.

Catalounge, now there's a theme....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.