Sep/Oct 2013 Theme/Genre festival tie-breaker poll

Started by 64Guitars, August 31, 2013, 06:13:30 PM

64Guitars

The Theme/Genre poll is tied between Alternate Tunings and BassFest with 9 votes each. So here's another poll with just those two choices to try and break the tie. It will run for only 24 hours so be sure to vote promptly. The winner will be the Sep/Oct Theme/Genre festival and the other will be the Nov/Dec Theme/Genre festival, so there will be no Theme/Genre poll at the end of October. We'll just have the Artists/Covers poll then.

Alternate Tunings - Songs played on a guitar or other stringed instrument with an alternate tuning.

BassFest - Songs made just with a bass (drums and vocals are optional). See this video for inspiration.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Voting is closed.

Sep/Oct - BassFest

Nov/Dec - Alternate Tunings

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

are we allowed to use virtual basses, ie from thumbjam, keyboards etc, or do i have to go up the attic and dig out the real one?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: oldrottenhead on September 02, 2013, 02:21:20 AMare we allowed to use virtual basses, ie from thumbjam, keyboards etc

Yes. But only for virtual basses. You can't use your keyboard, ThumbJam, etc. to add other instrument voices (other than drums). Everything except drums and vocals must be done with a bass or virtual bass.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

Hook

What about just the bass register from piano or melodica? Glockenspiel??

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

danieldesete

hou hou ha ha

Hilary

Can you fake a bass though by playing it on a normal guitar and then pitch changing it down an octave in something like Audacity?
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Geir

Quote from: Hilary on September 02, 2013, 04:39:54 PMCan you fake a bass though by playing it on a normal guitar and then pitch changing it down an octave in something like Audacity?
only if you don't want an excuse to buy a new bass ;D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Speed Demon

Pitch-shifting a guitar track to make it sound like a bass does not work well. A one octave shift will create warbling and artifacts in the sound. Bass notes require large strings which vibrate much slower than small strings and produce deeper tones.

Now you have a valid reason to purchase that bass you always wanted.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.