Personal Advertisements

Started by 64Guitars, February 20, 2009, 10:52:24 AM

64Guitars

I think the community should have a policy on posts of items for sale. Of course, all policies are ultimately up to Pedro and I'm sure we'll all happily respect whatever decision he makes. But I thought it would be good to get some opinions on this matter to help Pedro decide.

Some might think that it's okay to advertise a Micro BR or related equipment. Afterall, some members might outgrow their Micro BR and decide to get something with more features, so it would be nice if they could sell their Micro BR here. But is this really the best place for that? Most members here already own a Micro BR so there will be very few potential buyers. Surely the better-known classified advertising sites such as eBay, craigslist, gumtree, etc. would be much more suitable places to post an ad.

If personal ads for Micro BRs and related equipment are to be allowed, where do we draw the line? What about ads for BR-900s, Zooms, TASCAMs, guitars and other musical instruments, amplifiers, microphones, mixers, stage lighting, DJ gear, music CDs and DVDs, t-shirts and posters of popular artists, stereo systems, CD players, MP3 players, televisions, kitchen appliances, lawnmowers, boats, vacation properties, etc? Most people wouldn't even bother to check the policies anyway. They just follow the example of other posters. So, if someone posts an ad for a Micro BR, someone else will assume it's okay to advertise their TASCAM. And then someone seeing the TASCAM ad will assume it's okay to advertise their stereo system, television, lawnmower, etc. It can quickly get out of control.

Activity in the forums has increased significantly since Christmas and many of us are finding it hard to keep up with all the postings. Do we really want to have to filter through a bunch of personal ads too?

Then there's the drive-by sellers. If we allow personal ads, we'll likely attract a lot of people who have no interest in being a part of this community but join just to sell something. This community is about the BR and making music with it. I don't think we should encourage people to join the community if they have no interest in its theme.

One way to avoid drive-by sellers would be to have a separate "For Sale" board with controlled access. Anyone could view messages, but only contributing members with a certain minimum number of posts could post a message in that forum. The software for the forum already assigns member status based on number of posts ("Newbie". "Jr Member", "Full Member", "Sr. Member", "Hero Member") and the administrator can control posting privileges based on that status for each board.

I think the best policy is to forbid all personal ads. It's clear, simple, and easily enforced. Once you make exceptions for certain types of ads (just Micro BR related, or just by certain members, for example) it can get messy. But I welcome any comments for or against a "no ads" policy, and I hope you'll all cast a vote in this poll.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

AlchemyMN

Super 8

I fear that would just clog things up.  Stick with the info, comments and opinions here I say.  There's plenty of dedicated selling sites already (FleaBay anyone??)

hewhoiscalledj

I agree. There are plenty of sites available whose sole purpose is for ads and I would very much like to keep this site progressing in the direction it has been so far. If this place turned into Craigslist, I would be devastated.

I enjoy Craigslist for the service it provides the community just as I enjoy what this forum does but I think keeping it seperate and focussed is the way to go. There's no lack of used gear for sale elsewhere, and considering how "international" this forum is, it would just be a let down finding out the well priced item is actually in Yen and located in Japan; instead of Las Vegas...

Peace.

Tony

I think that there are two points here.  One is the buying and selling of equipment and the other is the character of the site.

There are, as it has been pointed out by others, many dedicated auction, retail and classified ad sites on the web.  I look at them and the objectives are clear, buy and sell.  That is why people go there.

This site, it seems to me and I am the first to say that this is only my opinion, is organised around something much different.  I don't want to get too sentimental but it is an issue of trust.  I play in a practice band with guys I have known for years and there is still a moment when, if I suggest new material or take something along to play, that I feel exposed and nervous about the judgement of others.  What I have seen on this site since I joined in December is that people join up and start bashing away within days, they work out the mini-mp3 player and put the stuff up for the whole world to hear.  That is nothing short of fantastic.

I joined to find out more about using the MBR but I found a very special place where people were willing to expose their efforts, from first recordings to experienced performances and detailed knowledges, and that is based on trust.  We trust that the others are going to give a sympathetic ear.

In my experience, trust and buying and selling do not go hand in hand.  That's why the auction and classified sites work.  You know what you are there for.  Let's keep the particular character of this site, the sharing of knowledge and the results of our musical efforts, intact.  I don't think we should have a 'For sale' section.  If people think I have misjudged the site then that's ok and I'm still here.  I don't want to limit what we do. 

Oldrottenhead

i'm looking for a copy of ladybirds vol 63 if any member has a copy( the one with mary millington and an over ripe banana) pm me.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

guitarron

there's is enough posts already everyday to read without having to look at ads
this forum has always been about using the gear, posting our songs and asking advise or constructive criticism
friendly and personable
lets not mess up a good thing

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Wiley

Yes I agree, I found this site by searching for a recorder to buy.  There are many places to buy.  It was this site that got me to buy the micro BR.  They can research this site and buy somewhere else.

dragonshade

Quote from: Tony on February 20, 2009, 04:22:19 PMThis site, it seems to me and I am the first to say that this is only my opinion, is organised around something much different.  I don't want to get too sentimental but it is an issue of trust.  I play in a practice band with guys I have known for years and there is still a moment when, if I suggest new material or take something along to play, that I feel exposed and nervous about the judgement of others.  What I have seen on this site since I joined in December is that people join up and start bashing away within days, they work out the mini-mp3 player and put the stuff up for the whole world to hear.  That is nothing short of fantastic.

I joined to find out more about using the MBR but I found a very special place where people were willing to expose their efforts, from first recordings to experienced performances and detailed knowledges, and that is based on trust.  We trust that the others are going to give a sympathetic ear.

Well said

3guitarsEddy

I think that we should never sell to people on this forum because it could create divisions within the site. Items could be faulty (without the seller knowing it) and so make the buyer upset.

I always say that I dont sell to my friends or family then this wont cause any rifts and I think it's the same here.  Also there is the question of distance and countries to cross.  Who would pay for the carrier etc.

Even though I haven't posted any music I still enjoy and respect what other folks are doing.  Keep up the good work.

Regards

Eddy