Sonar - Adding fx and eqing part of a track.

Started by Bobtail, April 17, 2013, 05:15:36 AM

Bobtail

Another Sonar LE user here which I got included with my BR800.
How would I add the calkwalk fx or add some EQ to part of a track.

Eg. Say on bars 8-12 add some fuzz (fx) or raise the mids (eq) or lower/raise level
on a guitar track ?

The bit I think I'm struggling with is how to highlight or envelope bars 8-12.
I've thoughly read the destructions but can't seem to do it.

Any gun Sonar users know how or even just point me to the right part of the manual.
Thanks  :)

64Guitars

Lookup "Automation" in the manual. It lets you adjust effects, EQ, levels, etc. in real time while your tracks play, and remembers the changes.

There are probably other ways to do it. For example, I imagine you could divide the track into clips and apply your effects, EQ, or whatever to just one clip. Or you could highlight the section you wish to alter, then select Apply Effect > Audio Effects from the Process menu. However, Apply Effect will permanently change the sound (destructive edit),  so you can't change your mind later, whereas automation doesn't actually alter the track (non-destructive edit); it merely adds the effect, EQ, etc. on playback. That way, you can later change your mind and turn the effect off or use a different effect.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Auroran

In Sonar, one would press the "write" button (or W).  If you do it in console (mixer) view, you press the write button and the track turns red. You use the fader, pan etc buttons and Sonar will automate everything you do. You can do effect sends too.

After that's done, you'll see the envelope lines that Sonar has created in track  view. use them to fine tune. right-click on a line and it will give you options like adding nodes for additional places/points to work with. When you're done, turn off the write button by clicking it.

recorder
Boss BR-800

Auroran

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 17, 2013, 11:04:33 AMThere are probably other ways to do it. For example, I imagine you could divide the track into clips and apply your effects, EQ, or whatever to just one clip.

What I do in  Sonar:

Click on the left hand corner of the track where the track number is (in track view). Right click and then choose "clone track", it will make another duplicate track. This way, you don't have to worry about ruining the first one. You simply cut measures from the first one, and apply the eq etc to the cloned track.

recorder
Boss BR-800

Bobtail

All-righty !
Thanks for the tips .I'll have another crack at it and post back how I go.
Much appreciated.
Cheers,  :)

Bobtail

Yay ,got it. :) I've got the enveloping going ok now,I can adjust volume,eq and add the calkwalk fx to my guitar track.I went the "clone track" direction and that way I could have a practice it and then delete after.Thanks
64G and Auroran.

One thing that I'm still having problems with is ,after I've selected "create track envelope" and then select the fx  e.g "fuzz" ,it brings up a heap of boxes but when I tick them all or some ,it comes up with separate different coloured lines to make into envelopes.Is it possible to have one line and adjust the fx settings in the fx control panel (level,depth,mix etc) ? I'm hoping there is an easier way.

Auroran

Quote from: Bobtail on April 26, 2013, 03:05:42 AMYay ,got it. :) I've got the enveloping going ok now,I can adjust volume,eq and add the calkwalk fx to my guitar track.I went the "clone track" direction and that way I could have a practice it and then delete after.Thanks
64G and Auroran.

One thing that I'm still having problems with is ,after I've selected "create track envelope" and then select the fx  e.g "fuzz" ,it brings up a heap of boxes but when I tick them all or some ,it comes up with separate different coloured lines to make into envelopes.Is it possible to have one line and adjust the fx settings in the fx control panel (level,depth,mix etc) ? I'm hoping there is an easier way.

It depends on the effect. What kinds of effects are you using?

If you are are using an effect like guitar rig, try this:

1. Put guitar rig on a track, pick any preset.

2. Press the W button on your Sonar track.

3. With guitar rig open, press play (in Sonar).

4. Adjust effects in Guitar rig in real time. Use your mouse and turn knobs.

When you're done, you'll see that Guitar rig has created an envelope for you in Sonar. Now, Guitar rig might have 100+ buttons on the screen at one time, so If you adjust 20 parameters, you'll get 20 envelopes in Sonar. If you go back to Sonar and click on "create envelope", look at what Guitar rig has done: it will have checked off 20 boxes for you. If you hover the mouse over each envelope in track view, it will tell you what that envelope is (see attachment). In Sonar, the parameters are listed as P1, P2, P3 etc, so there is no way (AFAIK) of determining what they are. (I'm sure that depends on what effects are used). With Guitar rig, it will go from P1 to P100 or so. Therefore, just grab the knob you want in guitar rig and let Sonar create that envelope.

In general, one doesn't have to "create envelopes" in Sonar, as it will do it for you. If you want to automate anything, make sure it is in write mode (W) and just start grabbing knobs, faders, etc and moving them. You can do it in track view or console view. It also applies to anything attached to a track like effects or Vstis. If something has the ability to be automated, Sonar will created an envelope for it when W is pushed.

recorder
Boss BR-800

Bobtail

I 've just about got the hang of track enveloping now and applying fx as well now.I'm just using the cakewalk fx that come with Sonar LE.I dont really add a lot to the tracks ,maybe a bit of reverb,delay,eq .

The song I'm working on at the moment has 2 Rythum guitar tracks and was just trying to make them a bit different than each other with some fx,eq ,to make it sound like 2 different guitars playing.Theres other ways I can do this but this is pretty cool.

That explaination that you gave Auroran was excellent mate ,thanks .

One more thing I've been having a go at but not having much luck at is,"trimming a track".
I see the trim slider on the left,but is this only for volume?
Some of my tracks go right past the -3 db on the graph and would like to get them back to about -6 db,around the middle more.I know I've got to watch the clipping meter more.
Is there any way to trim back those spikes on the track view graphic and get rid of the distorted background noises ? 

Auroran

Quote from: Bobtail on May 04, 2013, 10:54:55 PMOne more thing I've been having a go at but not having much luck at is,"trimming a track".
I see the trim slider on the left,but is this only for volume?
Some of my tracks go right past the -3 db on the graph and would like to get them back to about -6 db,around the middle more.I know I've got to watch the clipping meter more.
Is there any way to trim back those spikes on the track view graphic and get rid of the distorted background noises ?   

At the top, go to "process", then "audio" then "gain". On the track itself, make sure "snap to grid" is off" (it's above the tracks, it's a button that looks like a checkerboard). Then, take your mouse and select/highlight the area of the peak. Use process/audio/gain to lower the volume a few db. (Turn snap to grid back on. It's an important tool, get used to turning it off and on quite often, it's great for moving tracks around).

Another great tool is process/audio/fade-envelope. It's great for shaping waveforms. Once you get good at it, it's a lot better than using automation, as you can change articulations and make smoother fade-ins/outs. Make sure you clone the track first (right-click on the track number and choose "clone track). I make it a habit of cloning any track I edit. The fade/envelope tool might become your best friend. ;D I use it at the beginning and end of most tracks, so that there is no "pop" when the track ends, it fades background noises away. (You can also use "Process/fade selected clips".)

There are other ways of getting rid of peaks, namely limiters and compression. If you have a decent limiter, you can set it to a certain volume (i.e. -5) and nothing will be above that volume. I use a combination of limiting and actual editing.  The best use of process/audio/gain is when there is something like a tambourine that comes every two beats and is not sustained. If one tambourine hit is too soft or loud, I just highlight it and adjust the gain.

recorder
Boss BR-800

Auroran

Quote from: Bobtail on May 04, 2013, 10:54:55 PMget rid of the distorted background noises ?  

Right-click on a track and select "split". This is an important editing tool. Split the track and then you can delete or slip-edit (you can drag the portions of the track that aren't being used).

Look at the attachment. All your tracks should look like the top track in the pic. (I right-clicked on the bottom track and that box opens) I took away the portions of the top track that didn't have audio on them. This is crucial for getting rid of background noise. When you right-click on a track, it will give you lots of options. Use "split" and "edit" a lot. WARNING: Make sure that ONLY the "Events in tracks" button is selected when you delete something. Never use "tempo changes", make sure that box is unchecked every single time. If it's not, you'll be very sad. ;D

recorder
Boss BR-800