hentronics - a guide to recording guitars

Started by henwrench, March 14, 2013, 08:11:51 AM

henwrench

A few of you have asked, so here is some photographic 'evidence'.

Laurel and Hardy box set is vital. Just the right height.

The speaker is only 5". Note placement of internal MBR mic.

And that's how henwrench gets his guitar sounds. Move some air, y'can't beat it...

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

So that's your secret henwrench...the Laurel and Hardy box set! I've not seen that particular amp before. How old is it...certainly looks road worthy, lol.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

henwrench

I've had that little amp now for easily 10-12 years, maybe longer. I paid around £50 at the time. The missing dials are on my Squier Strat, as I find the 'markers' more useful.

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Oh, I do love that setup...you've been getting some mighty fine tones of late. And that looks like a super-deluxe, complete L & H box set! I've only got their "Essential Collection" :( I do have a massive Steptoe & Son box that might do in a pinch for me, though. :)

Dare I ask...what happened to the grill cloth on your amp?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

Quote from: cuthbert on March 14, 2013, 09:24:43 AMAnd that looks like a super-deluxe, complete L & H box set!

Dare I ask...what happened to the grill cloth on your amp?

It is indeed the super-deluxe, complete L & H box set!  ;)

I simply wanted to remove the cloth!  :D

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

Henwrench, I was just listening to your "Under Heavy Wreckage Part 3" and you have some great guitar tones there. Did you use this amp and set up for that song? Besides the excellent tone you are playing some killer guitar.

Here's a picture of my amp room (studio bathroom) and one of my micing techniques. The porcelain throne is a key component in creating the desired reverb effect  ;) . The amp on the right is a Fender 50 watt Bassman head that I converted into a combo amp with 2x10" speakers. The amp on the left is a Fender Pro Jr. 15 watts x 10" speaker. The mic is an Audix i5.

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

henwrench

Quote from: Farrell Jackson on March 14, 2013, 10:39:53 AMHenwrench, I was just listening to your "Under Heavy Wreckage Part 3" and you have some great guitar tones there. Did you use this amp and set up for that song?

No, that one was the good old MBR COSM. I don't use any of the presets, I prefer to 'program' my own sounds. In fact I've never used a preset.  :D

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

steelguitar

Quote from: henwrench on March 14, 2013, 08:11:51 AM

The speaker is only 5". Note placement of internal MBR mic.

And that's how henwrench gets his guitar sounds. Move some air, y'can't beat it...

henwrench

It's great : better sounds comes from simplicity!
I will try to record guitar sounds by your way... I am not really convinced by some presets of the COSM effects of micro BR
Jean-Sébastien
recorder
Boss Micro BR

"I'm sitting on a comet / Slowing speed / I'm landing on your planet / On your land of weed" Daniel (de Sète)

https://www.facebook.com/TheMAUSS

Very interesting  8) I always remember when I was gigging, that on occaisions we would share the stage with other bands (normally young) that had pristine stacks of equipment. In fact there was normally an all pervading smell of Selmer guitar polish and hair laquer. We on the other hand turned up with gear resembling the picture of your TGI and smelling of smoke and Lebonese marching dust. Nine times out of ten we would blow these young pretenders off the stage. The point is know your equipment as well as you so obviously know yours, and you're right, move some air..................Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

AndyR

So THAT's the secret!!

I'm obviously not using our Laurel & Hardy box-set in quite the right manner :D

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind