Micro BR 80 Recording voice

Started by smilingotter, March 08, 2013, 08:39:14 PM

Question:

I would like to adjust levels of my voice with the various effects, however, it seems I can only do this when it's recording?? Can someone guide me here?  This doesn't seem right to me.  I don't want to have to record all the time I am adjusting the levels of my voice or trying to find the right effects. I'd like to be able to sing along to what i have recorded with headphones and hear myself.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks
Kate

64Guitars

I don't understand your question. Are you talking about MTR mode? And are you using the internal mics? If so, make sure you haven't left a guitar cord plugged into the Guitar/Mic jack. That will shut off the internal mics. If there's nothing plugged into the Guitar/Mic jack, then the internal mics will be active and you should be able to hear your voice in the headphones, along with any tracks you've previously recorded. You can also use any of the effects and you will hear them in the headphones. Is that what you meant? If not, can you give more details.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, in MTR mode...I'm using internal mics....nothing plugged into the machine except my headphones.  When I press the COSM I get no sound of voice until I actually press the record button.  Only then do I hear myself.  Im not sure what is going on???

64Guitars

Quote from: smilingotter on March 08, 2013, 09:44:49 PMWhen I press the COSM I get no sound of voice until I actually press the record button.  Only then do I hear myself.

That's weird. It sounds like the BR-80's signal path is different than other BR-series recorders. In other BRs, you can hear your voice with effects without pressing Record. If you turn the COSM effects off, can you hear your voice in the headphones?

Maybe one of the BR-80 users here will have some suggestions. I don't have a BR-80.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Redler

Quote from: smilingotter on March 08, 2013, 08:39:14 PMI'd like to be able to sing along to what i have recorded with headphones and hear myself.

Hi Kate,

You can sing along without recording when you press Menu=>Input Sens=>enter. Then you can adjust sensitive of internal mics on "Dial wheel" and listen to recorded tracks and hear your real time voice. I hope this helps....

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

The mics are only turned on when recording. You can however push the record button once more just after you've started, and thus turning recording off, but you will then still be able to hear yourself as long as the song plays.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

i dont like the sound of that, so if you want to do a dry run you have to hit record to hear yourself? i think boss must have cocked up there. actually puts me off getting one at all now.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Geir on March 09, 2013, 06:18:17 AMThe mics are only turned on when recording. You can however push the record button once more just after you've started, and thus turning recording off, but you will then still be able to hear yourself as long as the song plays.

Very strange. Out of curiosity, does that only apply to the internal mics, or do you have to press Record to hear yourself when using the Guitar/Mic input too? According to the signal flow diagram on page 53 of the BR-80 manual, revision 4, the internal mics have the same signal path as the Guitar/Mic input, so it would be really weird if this only applies to the internal mics. And it would be horrible if it applies to the Guitar/Mic input. That would make it really awkward to try out different guitar effects, or just jam along with your previously-recorded tracks.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Redler

Quote from: Geir on March 09, 2013, 06:18:17 AMThe mics are only turned on when recording. You can however push the record button once more just after you've started, and thus turning recording off, but you will then still be able to hear yourself as long as the song plays.

Thanks for the tip! I have turned internal mics on as explained above. Did you find that feature by chance?

When using guitar, it doesn't need any tricks, you can hear it normally via phones...

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR