Micro BR SD Card Trouble

Started by Chezedog, December 05, 2012, 04:59:55 PM

Chezedog

I recently purchased a used BOSS Micro BR.  I bought a Lexar 4GB SD for it, and promptly got the "Unsupported Format!" error.  I then found out that not all SD cards will work.  So I bought a 1GB card that even says "BOSS Digital Recorder Micro BR" on it.  "Record Ready" it says.  It too gives me the "Unsupported Format!" error.  The guy that sold it to me suggested initializing the card with my computer.  So I bought an SD card reader, and initialized both of them several times, in every format available.  I still get ""Unsupported Format!" from both.

I can not initialize the cards with the unit itself, and the cards do not mount on the desktop when the device is connected via USB.

The documentation I've read from the BOSS and Roland sites have proven unhelpful.

Mac OS X 10.8.2, by the way.

64Guitars

Quote from: Chezedog on December 05, 2012, 04:59:55 PMI can not initialize the cards with the unit itself

Why not? Do you get the "Unsupported Format" error as soon as you turn the unit on, and is that preventing you from getting into the Utility menu to perform a card initialization? Or are you able to get into the Utility menu and start the card initialization, but get the error upon doing so?

The Micro BR can only access 1GB of memory, so it's best to use 1GB SD cards if you can find them. It will work with some 2GB and 4GB cards, but you'll only be able to access 1GB of the card's capacity.

You could get an "Unsupported Format" error if there was any dust or dirt in the SD card compartment that was causing poor contact with the card. So remove the SD card and have a good look in the card compartment for any dust or foreign matter. Perhaps you could try tapping the BR on a table top with the SD card and cover removed to dislodge anything that might be in there.

Memory cards should always be initialized in the BR before use. If the BR won't initialize the card, you shouldn't use it in the BR even if you can successfully format it on your computer because it will be unreliable. Better to try another card.

What version is the firmware in your BR? To find out, switch the power on while simultaneously pressing the CURSOR < and > buttons. The latest version that I'm aware of is 1.04 which you can download from the Roland Germany website: http://www.rolandmusik.de/ftp/pub/downloads/tecfiles/G_bis_O/MBR_1v04.zip. More info here. I don't know why none of the other Roland sites have any firmware updates available for the Micro BR. You might want to call Roland tech support and ask them that question. One of the things that firmware updates usually do is improve memory card compatibility. So, if your current version is older than 1.04, it might be a good idea to update it. Mind you, you'll need a working, reliable card to do the update with.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Chezedog

Thanks for the help!

I get the "Unsupported Format" error as soon as I turn the unit on, and it is preventing me from getting into the Utility menu to perform a card initialization.

There does not appear to be any foreign material in the slot.

The firmware version is 1.03.

I need a card so that I can upgrade my firmware so the device can read the card?

A classic catch-22!  ;D

64Guitars

Quote from: Chezedog on December 05, 2012, 06:32:27 PMThe firmware version is 1.03.

I need a card so that I can upgrade my firmware so the device can read the card?

A classic catch-22!  ;D

Yes, but versions prior to 1.04 will still work with quite a lot of SD cards. So it's just a matter of finding one that works with your BR. That's assuming, of course, that there isn't a hardware problem with your BR.

Once you find a card that works reliably with your BR, you can update to 1.04, then try the other cards again. They just might work with 1.04.

By the way, I like your avatar. Using an 8-track cartridge was a great idea. If you get your BR working, you should record a cover of "The Twelve Days of Christmas". :)

... and a cartridge in a bare tree.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Chezedog

Once my father's xmas tree featured a single decoration, a 30.06 rifle shell.

Just so he could say "it's a cartridge in a bare tree" when a visitor asked about it.

Greeny

Chezedog

This story has a happy ending.  The third card that I just got in the mail actually worked!

Joy and huzzah!