what's the best settings for recording ....

Started by phantasm777, August 21, 2012, 08:57:31 PM

Gnasty

Quote from: Hilary on August 22, 2012, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 22, 2012, 05:58:14 AMwhat's an mp3 ???

when you find out Jim - can you let me know :)

I think it`s one of those prehistoric inventions.

e.g - record, 8 track, cassette, compact disc

Did them people really use those things?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Gnasty

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gnasty

Quote from: oldrottenhead on August 22, 2012, 08:58:05 AMstop linking my facebook pics

Yes such a cesspool breech of privacy! Hey i`m not on Facebook!  ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

phantasm777

thanks auroran, the reason i ask is i can set the playback on my sound to 48000 32 bit which says that is studio quality. wouldn't this be an improvement? only in hearing it.
it doesn;t offer that choice on recording.

if i changed my playback to 48000 - 32 bit would it not work right since the recording is set at 44100 - 32 bit float? would there be a conflict?

Auroran

Quote from: phantasm777 on August 22, 2012, 09:42:06 AMthanks auroran, the reason i ask is i can set the playback on my sound to 48000 32 bit which says that is studio quality. wouldn't this be an improvement? only in hearing it.
it doesn;t offer that choice on recording.

if i changed my playback to 48000 - 32 bit would it not work right since the recording is set at 44100 - 32 bit float? would there be a conflict?

My guess: if you play a 44.1K recording at 48K, it will change the pitch and/or introduce sound artifacts and noises.

Honestly, I don't think any of it matters in your situation. 32 bit doesn't exist convertor-wise. There are lots of posts full of mumbo-jumbo on the internet about it, here's a thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/496249-record-24-bit-32-bit-float.html Bottom line: if your card is 16 bit, your card is 16 bit. ;D  The  only reason would be for effects in Audicity i.e. a reverb that works in 24-bit. I don't know enough about that to advise.

I use Sonar. If I have a 16 bit file or even an mp3, I can import it into a 24-bit project. It "upsamples", meaning it turns those files to 24 bit. All it does is add space, it can't change the quality. You can try that in Audacity, I don't know the program well. OK, I just tried it: works like Sonar, my mp3 is now a 32 bit float file.

Bottom line: if it works, it works.  ;D I only caution you about the 44.1K/48K thingy, stick with 44.1.

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: phantasm777 on August 21, 2012, 08:57:31 PMshould i leave it at 41000 - 32 bit float?

Yes (44,100 that is, and 32-bit). 32-bit float samples at the highest resolution available in Audacity internally. When you export to WAV format, the resolution of the samples in the file is reduced to 16-bit. A sample rate of 44,100 Hz is recommended for compatibility. For example, the Boss BR series recorders can only import 44.1kHz WAV files (8-bit or 16-bit). So, if you were to record with a 48kHz sample rate, you'd have problems collaborating with BR users.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Quality_Preferences

It's important to realize that the values specified in Preferences are only defaults. The actual bit rate of your project is determined by the drop-down selection at the bottom-left of the Audacity window.

Make sure it's always at 44100 if you're collaborating with BR users.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Auroran

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 22, 2012, 01:06:48 PMFor example, the Boss BR series recorders can only import 44.1kHz WAV files (8-bit or 16-bit).

(OT for a minute:) Wow, I didn't know that.  Boss really needs to get into the 21st century with the 16 bit and Hifi (MT2) stuff.  I joined this forum primarily because of the great wealth of info on multitrack recorders. While I'm  looking at the BR-800, Zoom really has the advantage in that category.

recorder
Boss BR-800

64Guitars

Quote from: Auroran on August 22, 2012, 02:29:46 PMBoss really needs to get into the 21st century with the 16 bit and Hifi (MT2) stuff.  I joined this forum primarily because of the great wealth of info on multitrack recorders. While I'm  looking at the BR-800, Zoom really has the advantage in that category.

Yes. Roland's proprietary compressed formats made sense when memory cards were expensive and limited in capacity, and they work quite well. But with SDHC cards, memory capacity and cost are no longer an issue, so I wish Roland would abandon the proprietary format and just save tracks as standard WAV files. It would make collaborations much simpler. They've already taken a step in that direction with the BR-800's Song Sketch mode (or LIVE REC mode on the BR-80) which records directly to WAV files. I just wish they'd do the same in MTR mode. Let's hope they do in their next recorder. Roland will be announcing some new products in about a week. I don't know if those new products will include a multitrack recorder, but we can hope.

http://www.rolandconnect.com/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Auroran

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 22, 2012, 03:01:13 PMThey've already taken a step in that direction with the BR-800's Song Sketch mode (or LIVE REC mode on the BR-80) which records directly to WAV files.

Yes, but it's a 16 bit WAV file.  :( I'm a-waiting for the big Roland countdown on Sept 1. I want a Boss BR-800 mark II with Phantom power on at least two channels and 24 bit everything. :D

recorder
Boss BR-800