Suggestions for future festivals

Started by 64Guitars, June 12, 2012, 02:38:01 PM

bruno

Novelty song fest - you know the kind, Birdie song, Joe Dolce and "What's a matter you", Mouldy old Dough etc - not very high brow, but would be a bloody good laugh! Actually, it may be quite painful ....

recorder
Boss BR-1600

64Guitars

Quote from: bruno on November 20, 2015, 10:16:58 AMNovelty song fest - you know the kind, Birdie song, Joe Dolce and "What's a matter you", Mouldy old Dough etc - not very high brow, but would be a bloody good laugh! Actually, it may be quite painful ....

We kind of did that five years ago with ComedyFest. But we could certainly have ComedyFest 2.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

Is there a list of all the bimonthly festivals we've done? The current festival thread is missing quite a few.

We either had a War festival or I suggested it or I imagined I suggested it, but it sounds fun to me. Plus, I'm in the process of doing a project that relates a bit.... I'd suggest War fest.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Hilary

Has there been one with songs from The Police, or members from it (the band btw)? I'd like to hear some Police covers.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

64Guitars

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on November 21, 2015, 09:10:52 PMIs there a list of all the bimonthly festivals we've done? The current festival thread is missing quite a few.

In the main menu, at the bottom of the Festivals menu, you'll find a "Festival Themes" page. It lists all of the festivals we've done. It also lists all of the suggestions (though I need to add some of the recent ones) and has links to any polls that they were included in (though I still have a lot of work to do on adding polls, so many are missing now).

You can also just browse the Festivals menu in the main menu. It has a sub-menu for each year and menu items for each festival in the year.

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on November 21, 2015, 09:10:52 PMWe either had a War festival or I suggested it or I imagined I suggested it, but it sounds fun to me. Plus, I'm in the process of doing a project that relates a bit.... I'd suggest War fest.

We had a War Songs Fest in Sep/Oct 2014.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Hilary on November 22, 2015, 05:09:55 AMHas there been one with songs from The Police, or members from it (the band btw)? I'd like to hear some Police covers.

The Police/Sting has been an option in the polls several times, most recently in Mar/Apr 2014 when it got 3 of the 20 votes. I'm sure it will come up in the polls again.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: 64GuitarsYou can also just browse the Festivals menu in the main menu. It has a sub-menu for each year and menu items for each festival in the year.

I hadn't even noticed but that's pretty cool. Looks like it's a lot of work involved. Thank you for that.

QuoteWe had a War Songs Fest in Sep/Oct 2014.

I even wrote a song for it. *slaps head* Thanks for your time.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

What about a Salvage Fest?

So this could be something like songs that people really don't like, or songs from artists that members don't like - taking them and trying to turn them into something they find more acceptable to their taste??

The difficult part could be to determine the list of songs or artists to choose from as its all in the ear of the beholder, but maybe we could leave this wide open to the Songcrafter member.

As an example - A list from me could include "Celine Dion - whose vocal style irritates me, but others might enjoy, or Michael Buble - I can't think of any redeeming factors, but again everyone is entitled to an opinion". So basically, if it was me i would try to by hook or by crook, take a track by one of these and give it one of my style of treatments, like an indie rock or a raw blues feel, possibly taking some of the lyrics and getting rid of some of the more sugary sweet sentiments??

Cheers
Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

Quote from: Mike_S on December 02, 2015, 04:58:55 AMWhat about a Salvage Fest?

So this could be something like songs that people really don't like, or songs from artists that members don't like - taking them and trying to turn them into something they find more acceptable to their taste??

The difficult part could be to determine the list of songs or artists to choose from as its all in the ear of the beholder, but maybe we could leave this wide open to the Songcrafter member.

As an example - A list from me could include "Celine Dion - whose vocal style irritates me, but others might enjoy, or Michael Buble - I can't think of any redeeming factors, but again everyone is entitled to an opinion". So basically, if it was me i would try to by hook or by crook, take a track by one of these and give it one of my style of treatments, like an indie rock or a raw blues feel, possibly taking some of the lyrics and getting rid of some of the more sugary sweet sentiments??

Cheers
Mike
Justin Bieber Fest then ....

recorder
Boss BR-1600

bruno

Have we ever had a JamaicaFest or a Bob Marley Fest - there's some great songs to play??
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600