iPad meets Pink Floyd

Started by peterp, May 28, 2012, 06:41:51 PM

64Guitars

I think we need to separate the song from the musical performance. You can play a great song on anything and it's still a great song. For example, "Danny Boy" is a great song whether it's played by a symphony orchestra or it's played by an amateur on a kazoo. But, as a musical performance, I'd have a hell of a lot more respect for the symphony orchestra than for the kazoo player. What worries me about apps is that I'm afraid that everyone will become kazoo players and there won't be any more symphony orchestras. There will still be great songs but there won't be any highly-skilled musicians to admire.

I need my music heroes. People who have spent years mastering an instrument and can play stuff that I could never play. If all of the "musicians" of the future are app players, there won't be any music heroes since anyone can play an app. Skill and years of practice are not required.

Music appreciation isn't just about the song. It's also about the musicians who perform the songs. I can appreciate a great song, even if it's written with a $3 app. But I can't appreciate someone performing a song with the same app. I want to see and hear performances by skilled musicians who've mastered real instruments.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Gnasty

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: Gnasty on June 01, 2012, 12:09:14 PMGo here...

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=15016.0;msg=192024

Sorry it seems I can't post right on my phone

thats what i am talking about. get the right person to interface wi the app and you get solid gold. i think you should all concede that i have won the arguement and hang your heads in shame.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

peterp

In days of future come to pass
We are all just broken robots
making music with no soul

But the beer is still good and flowing free!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

T.C. Elliott

I've tried playing drums on my iphone. I can't. There is a skill set that I do not have. In the original video that dude was playing the single note guitar line on an app. I can't play that on an app. Hell, it'd take me a while to play it on guitar. It sure seems like it's easier because it's on a computer (ipad) and I have to admit I really love the sights and sounds of a real instrument doing it's thing. But you'll have a hard time convincing me that there isn't skill involved in making good music with the electric tools at hand.

That being said, I respect a person that's mastered an instrument a lot more than a person that's mastered a computer program. Sometimes wrongly I'd suspect.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Prive

I think an app is just that, an app, easyer or not, an instrument, harder or not, fun or not. If something brings you to music it's welcome, use the tools you can but make music!!! Future kids could use lots of tools like ipads or software, i just hope that kids have 1/10 of ORH talent to write great songs, if not they will have to listen very old music played by very old people with very old resources.
Just my point of view.

Marcelo.
Music, music and three times music!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

Gnasty

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 01, 2012, 12:22:36 PMthats what i am talking about. get the right person to interface wi the app and you get solid gold. i think you should all concede that i have won the arguement and hang your heads in shame.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Gnasty

I think this tops the wavedrum!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder