MedleyFest?

Started by 64Guitars, March 28, 2012, 02:46:07 PM

64Guitars

No, I don't mean Bill from The Righteous Brothers. I mean, how about a festival where the objective is to create a medley covering parts of two or more related songs as a single song. They could be songs by a favourite artist (Led Zeppelin medley, Johnny Cash medley, etc.), a certain genre (folk medley, reggae medley, etc.), a theme (songs about dogs medley, TV theme song medley, etc.), Stars on 45 style (many short snippets of popular songs strung together in a medley), and so on. I think it would be an interesting challenge to try to make a smooth transition from one song snippet to the next. Medleys are not something that many people here have posted before, so it would be something different. I like festivals that challenge us to record something we wouldn't normally do, and I think this idea does that.

I'm not proposing that we start such a festival now. I'm only wondering if anyone's interested in having this as one of the choices for our next vote (May/June).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

64Guitars

Quote from: Gritter on March 28, 2012, 03:58:19 PMI think medleys are cheesy.

So it's all the more of a challenge then to make one that isn't cheesy. That's the fun of it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

I forgot to mention that, although the songs used in the medley must be covers rather than originals, they can be covers of original songs by our members. So you could do a Geir medley, an oldrottenhead medley, a henwrench medley, a Gritter medley, etc. Or how about a medley of Songcrafters Classics?

Lots of possibilities.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

i was impressed by this guy on the voice uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzYE6P5NxSw

was a great show too not what i was expecting at all
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

SE

Seen it too ORH was made to watch my the Mrs SE, but actually quite enjoyed it, the young guy was the biz, as for medleys I,d give it a go, would that mean mixing tunes and lyrics together or would that be just one tune running into the next? Either way would give it a go.
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: side effect on March 28, 2012, 05:46:24 PMas for medleys I,d give it a go, would that mean mixing tunes and lyrics together or would that be just one tune running into the next? Either way would give it a go.

Whatever works for you. I was thinking in terms of the more traditional medley where you'd do a verse or two of one song, followed by a verse or two of another song, then maybe back to the first song. But I'm sure people will come up with other ideas. If the songs were similar enough, I suppose you could just play the music the same all the way through and only alternate the lyrics. Is that what you mean?

I think it would be more of a challenge though to find a way to transition smoothly from the music of one song to the slightly different music of another. You may have to change the key and tempo of one of the songs to make it fit. And/or, you might need a little riff or phrase to go from one song to the next. Or maybe you might decide to do the transitions in the mix, fading one song out while simultaneously fading the next song in so that they overlap. I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it. It will be interesting to see what sort of creative ideas people come up with for transitioning from one song to the next.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I love cheese to! Medleys' seem difficult to me but I'd give it a go!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely