mic - phantom power

Started by phantasm777, November 08, 2011, 10:11:49 AM

phantasm777

my behringer xenex has phantom power for mics. each mic is mono, or one black line under the tip. ive always understood that 2 black lines under the tip of the jack meant stereo jack. now, to use the phantom, it describes using a stereo jack without saying its stereo at all, it just shows a image of a jack with 2 black lines below the tip. what kind of mics can i put in in order to use the phantom, stereo mics? it says not to use the phantom on mono mics, so i havent used the phantom at all cause im not sure about just what it requires.

64Guitars

Phantom power is used only for microphones that require a DC power source through a balanced connection. The connector is almost always an XLR connector, not a 1/4" phone plug. Condenser mics usually require phantom power. Dynamic mics do not.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

phantasm777

not sure what an xlr connector is (im not big on all the lingo, but usually i know it when i see it), but it will take a guitar jack size. not the little ipod jack size. and the standard mic connection with the 4 or 5 holes in it. it just requires it be a balanced mic, i', not sure what a balanced mic is, by the diagram i saw, it look like a stereo guitar plug jack

peterp

The two black lines on a 1/4" connector are also used for mono cables in some cases, they are called TRS connectors.

Quote from: phantasm777 on November 08, 2011, 10:11:49 AMthat 2 black lines under the tip of the jack meant stereo jack.

TRS connectors look like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

TRS can be stereo, or used as mono.

Then there are TRRS connectors to confuse things even more

XLR connectors look like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

I don't know of TRS being used for phantom power, too easy to jack it into something that can't handle 48V dc.
Phantom power normally runs over the same wire pair as the audio signal on a balanced mic (usually xlr connector)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_power

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

dasilvasings

When the battery of my car dies, can I use a pair of xlr cables to start it up?
recorder
Boss Micro BR

peterp

Took a peak at the Behringer xenex mixers page, looks to me like it can deliver phantom power to the xlr inputs, but not the 1/4 jacks. (I couldn't get the manual to open so can't be sure).

At any rate the only mic's that will want phantom power are condensers.
Dynamic mics like the Shure sm57/sm58 do not need it to operate. but won't be hurt by it being present.

Any other mic type like a ribbon mic, can be seriously damaged by phantom power being applied.

So make sure mic's you are using can handle the voltage before turning it on!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

SteveB

Good luck, P777. It should be noted though, that just having Phantom Power & a Condenser microphone may not be enough, sometimes a decent pre-amp is needed too. As many of us have found out over the years.  :(
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

phantasm777

well i have a few of those mics but not with the chords with the 3 prongs jack. so i cannot use it, but between my mixers power and audacities record vol. i can jack a mic or any instrument i have up well enough.

SteveB

P777, glad you've got things sorted.  ;)
This making-music etc is sometimes trial and error until you get it right. However, never be afraid to ask, we've ALL needed help at some stage. Here's a photo which may help a little...

...the Condenser mic and the Dynamic mic can both be attached to the BR1200 using either of the Mic Leads. The Condenser mic MUST use Phantom Power to work, and the BR1200 can supply that. The Dynamic mic doesn't need Phantom Power to work. However, BOTH will benefit (sound-wise), by first running the Mic into the Pre-Amp, and then into the BR1200, (the Pre-Amp also can supply Phantom Power), and of course you'll need to use two Mic Leads: One from Mic to Pre-Amp, and then one from Pre-Amp to BR 1200. The Pre-Amp really does give you some extra control over sound shaping. Of course the Pre-Amp needs its own power supply from a wall socket etc. Hope this helps someome.  :D
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

AndyR

I've got a question about this.

There's a statement earlier that SM57/58 dynamics won't be harmed by phantom power. Forgive me, I'm paranoid, is this absolutely true? (Before I try it!). I have heard this before, but I'm still a little concerned.

I use the BR1600 and am quite happy using a large Condensor with the phantom power on. But I've recently acquired a couple of 57s, and I want to use all three for acoustic/vocal recording. I use XLR leads for all mics, and the BR1600 applies 48v to all the XLRs when you switch phantom power on. I don't want to do this to my new 57s until I know it's absolutely OK.

Last time I tried it I did it with an old 58 and I got some strange "goings on", including "prickly mic" syndrome on the 58 and some signal noise... it could have been a dodgy lead though... the mic is still ok (or as OK as hundreds of sweaty 2-hour gigs as my lead vocal mic have left it :D), but I'm a bit wary with the sparkly new 57s.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1