Disabling Batteries in AA Devices

Started by BuleriaChk, July 21, 2011, 01:14:42 PM

BuleriaChk

I'd like to get input on an issue I've been thinking about - using batteries in my Roland gear rather than AC connectors.  The one drawback for me (other than purchasing batteries when required) is that I sometimes leave the power on inadvertently, or the power switch gets flipped, etc., so the batteries run down when the unit is stored after the gig.  (This is particularly true in the case of the Roland Mobile Cube, where it is very easy to trip the power switch inadvertently.

One solution I've been thinking about is putting a thin sheet of plastic between the batteries, thus breaking the circuit as a backup measure when breaking down after the show.  One could even make an insert which would extend over several battery "stacks", although this probably wouldn't be necessary in most cases, since the batteries are in series (not sure about this)???

I just tried it by inserting a slip of paper between the battery and contact in the BR-80, and it seems to work fine....
The Mobile Cube has two trays; will try that next....

Update:  worked fine in the Mobil Cube.  I guess any BR that requires 9V and uses six AA batteries (1.5 V) in two trays means the batteries are in series (duh!), so a single slip of paper will work....

Anyway, I'd like to get others' take on this as to any downsides......

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Most BRs have a Power Save and/or Auto Off feature. For example, the Auto Off feature of the BR-80 is enabled by default and set to 30 minutes. But you can choose from 7 values from 3 minutes to 60 minutes. See page 117 of the BR-80 manual.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

The problem for me is that Auto Off works even when the unit is under AC power (or USB power), which has been irritating to me in some circumstances. 

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 21, 2011, 02:05:21 PMMost BRs have a Power Save and/or Auto Off feature. For example, the Auto Off feature of the BR-80 is enabled by default and set to 30 minutes. But you can choose from 7 values from 3 minutes to 60 minutes. See page 117 of the BR-80 manual.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 21, 2011, 03:15:38 PMThe problem for me is that Auto Off works even when the unit is under AC power (or USB power), which has been irritating to me in some circumstances.

That would be irritating. And it's stupid to have Auto Off enabled when the AC adapter or USB is connected.

The manual for the original Micro BR specifically states "When you use an AC adaptor, the Auto Power Off function will not operate."  I wonder if it's an oversight in the BR-80 that will be corrected in an update? You might want to complain to Roland about that. The more people who complain, the more likely that it will get fixed.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

I can confirm that the original Micro BR stays on when powered by AC adapter, and even better, when running on batteries, you can plug in the adapter when operating on batteries without loosing the power (handy when you're running low on batteries in a mastering process!)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

yeah, I think we should launch a massive complaint about the oversight. He's absolutely correct about it powering down. I had a WTF moment a few nights ago.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Just reading some old messages and noticed this one. Anyone know if this issue was fixed by the version 1.06 update? Auto power-off should have no effect when the AC adapter or USB is powering the BR-80. It should only power off the unit when it's running on batteries.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website