QUEEN --- 40th anniversary!

Started by Burtog, June 09, 2011, 03:32:19 AM

Burtog

I have recently watched the TV rockumentary 'Days of our lives' about Queen, they formed 40 years ago. It's also 20 years since the death of Freddie Mercury.

I thought it was a great documentary, I have dug out a few of the albums again and had a listen. The first album I ever seriously listened to as a kid was Sheer Heart Attack, whcih remains my favourite Queen album now, it's such a varied collection of songs.

I dont recall ever seeing any covers or discussion on this band in my short time as a member of this community, any other fans out there?

QUEENFEST this year surely!?! :o
recorder
Boss BR-800

Greeny

I have very mixed feelings about Queen for some reason, which is strange, because I actually like a lot of their songs. A lot of the 70's ones are genuine classics. But I can't reconcile something as great as 'Now I'm Here' with 'Radio Ga Ga' (which I absolutely hate). It all seemed to go downhill musically for them after that. So I guess I'm only a partial fan, lol. Brian May is such an incredible guitarist though - no arguments about that.

guitarron

Quote from: Greeny on June 09, 2011, 03:37:47 AMBrian May is such an incredible guitarist though - no arguments about that.

hE WAS THE KING OF THAT LAYERED HARMORY LEAD

oops didnt mean to shout

Queen rocks

I was always fascinated by the fact he and his dad built his now iconic guitar

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Burtog

Quote from: guitarron on June 09, 2011, 04:51:54 AM
Quote from: Greeny on June 09, 2011, 03:37:47 AMBrian May is such an incredible guitarist though - no arguments about that.

hE WAS THE KING OF THAT LAYERED HARMORY LEAD

oops didnt mean to shout

Queen rocks

I was always fascinated by the fact he and his dad built his now iconic guitar

The Brian May 'Red special'

The Brian May company now make these for around £520.00 and get good reviews, I wouldn't mind one!

recorder
Boss BR-800

Geir

I'm a big fan. Favourite albums: Every album up to and including Jazz. A good number of great songs after that too tho.

I've been meaning to cover them a long time, just haven't got around to it yet. I have once performed '39 at a 40th bithdayparty with rewritten lyrics ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Burtog

Quote from: Geir on June 09, 2011, 05:16:29 AMI'm a big fan. Favourite albums: Every album up to and including Jazz. A good number of great songs after that too tho.

I've been meaning to cover them a long time, just haven't got around to it yet. I have once performed '39 at a 40th bithdayparty with rewritten lyrics ::)
'39 was a song I've been thinkin about a bit recently, I can imagine you covering that one well!

I'm really into the 3 part song on Sheer Heart Attack;

Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lilly of the valley.............it's awesome, hard to beleive it's 38 years old!
recorder
Boss BR-800

ODH

Quote from: Burtog on June 09, 2011, 03:32:19 AMThe first album I ever seriously listened to as a kid was Sheer Heart Attack, whcih remains my favourite Queen album now, it's such a varied collection of songs.

Likewise, to some extent, here too.  Sheer Heart Attack was on in my house a lot when I was a little nipper and in fact it was one of the albums I turned to when I started fumbling around the guitar in the late 70's (and Led Zep III).  But Queen seem to inspire fanatical devotion or utter ambivolence.  My wife's mother for example is obsessed with Queen to the point where she has pictures on her living room wall (I kid you not); all other artists have to be compared to Queen and their shortcomings exposed for what they are (it's really tiresome).  And I know others who adore Queen to the point of religion.  Partly because of this I've come to largely avoid Queen, which is a shame because I did like Sheer Heart Attack a lot.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Migs

How to make people feel old!

Remarkable band and great musicians.  I agree with the post radio gaga decline though.
Strangely, it is one band I wouldn't consider covering. I can't hear in my head what I would strip back or add to.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

AndyR

I must admit I'm very appreciative of Queen. Very VERY appreciative.

I even have one of they Red Specials :)

Greeny - you had to see Radio Ga Ga live. (And I mean see it live, not watch a live divd).

I was the same as several others - I was into 70s Queen and tolerated 80s Queen. When The Works came out I thought it was a superb return to form (Radio Ga Ga excluded :D).

When Magic came out, my girlfriend bought it for me. I thought it was utter, utter pants.

Then I finally got to see them, their very last gig.

Under Pressure - a song I loathed and despise, especially Mr Bowie's vocal contribution (although to be fair, he thought it was just a jam, and was somewhat bemused when it appeared on the radio! It was a kick-about guide vocal as far as he was concerned) - Under Pressure, live, was SUPERB. I suspect that if they'd known it was the last gig, Mr Bowie might even have been there and joined in, and that it would have been even better mebbe...

It's a Kind of Magic - whimsical tosh I thought - what a superb song live, one of the highlights of that night.

One Vision - utter poo - but, My oh my what a set opener...

Radio Ga Ga - vomit - SHEESSH, this was the biggest surprise, an UTTER show-stopper live, brilliant, brilliant.

Even Friends will be Friends was ok (except it came between We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions :D).

I went along to see the old sh1t, and I got a good healthy dose of it. But I have to admit that the cr@p songs I didn't think I liked were totally turned round for me that night.

None of the four of them were geniuses, they were just very talented musicians, each with quite distinct limitations. But combined, the band was a genius.

If I was condemned to listen to the back catalogue of one artiste only for the rest of my life, it would be Queen's.

If I was only allowed one album it would probably be Sheer heart Attack (but I'd try to sneak Night, Day, and News into the sleeve as well :D)

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

i remember as a kid listening to alan freeman's saturday show on radio 1 in the early 70's on my dad's state of the art fm stereo radio with built in 8 track player and hearing killer queen it floored me and that song still does it for me today.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann