MY RECORDING STUDIO, er........I mean RECORDING 'SHED'

Started by Burtog, May 25, 2011, 09:43:26 AM

Burtog

;D

I am in the process of converting my smallish shed into a recording studio type thing. If anyone has done anything similar can they advise on any cheap ideas for soundproofing?

So far I'm looking along the lines of some 50mm foam boards instead of loft insulation which I was originally going to use, I need to do this on a tight budget.

Any thoughts/advise would be welcomed.
recorder
Boss BR-800

Flash Harry

Hi Burtog.

Are you soundproofing for your neighbours sake or for the sake of the sound inside the room?

High frequencies are easier to deaden than low ones.

You can get dense rockwool to fill the gap between the outer wall and an inner wall made with two layers of plaster board.  You have to overlap the board so that the joins between each sheet on each layer do not coincide.

The frame you make to hang the plasterboard on cannot be fastened to the outside wall and it's best if the frame is also isolated from the floor.

If you can justify the cost, the plasterboard should be mounted to the frame using resilient bars which can be found on the Internet. It's like spring mounting the inner wall.

Inside you may have trouble with booming bass and the rockwool comes in useful there too. A wooden frame filled with rockwool and covered with a coarse weave cloth like hessian and placed in the room (trial and error will tell you where is best to place them) will absorb the bass tones and stop them reverberating round the room.

Don't forget to isolate your mic stands from the floor. 

Good luck!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Burtog

Thanks Flash H, good advice. Will definately help me.  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-800

launched

Still not sure if you are trying to seal out the neighbors, but I've witnessed decent sound separation with 2" thick foam paneling for overhead drum mics. You hang the foam on hooks from the ceiling and it keeps the guitar noises out pretty good. Problem is the drummer can't see anybody so I had to take them down for practices, which is easy to do.

So what Mike described should work great to keep the neighbors happy.

Peace,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Bluesberry

A shed, great idea, we love sheds on here.  It is wonderful to have your own space to get your music done in, I have a spare bedroom, but I have taken the whole thing over now.  Its my cave.  I don't have any real tips, what Flash and Mark said.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Burtog

Just a small update really;

I have been soundproofing the walls and roof, new floor fitted, got a mega good deal on hessian carpet tiles to cover floor and some of the walls. Next step is to make a second wall to have a inner door to seal it and soundproof further, then gotta put an electric supply in and then some tarting up and I'm ready to try it out.

Hopefully 3-4 weeks.

I decided not to touch the BR until I got this shed complete to give me the drive to get it finished,aaaaarrrrgggghhh!

I will post some pics when done!!
recorder
Boss BR-800

Burtog

I meant to put a couple of pictures up of the shed, it's only 8' x 6' but does the job!!

recorder
Boss BR-800

Bluesberry

Looks real cosy, and its all your space, thats the main thing.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Flash Harry

Brilliant! Love the Converses warming by the radiator!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.