Positivity-Original

Started by Johnbee, May 01, 2024, 06:19:47 AM

karl1171

I can hear a slight difference in vocal, it sounds really good, but then again it all does!

Great production and interesting song, as always :)

Blooby

I watched a lot of Joe Gilder when I first got my DAW, and he helped me quite a bit. I'm curious what tips helped the most because I definitely hear a difference. Your voice sounds much more present and open.

As to the the tune, I believe it's my favorite from you. So much ear candy, wrapped up in a great arrangement. Big wow.

Blooby

Johnbee

Thanks to all who listened and commented.  I really love when people comment. :-*

As to your question, Blooby-In one of his videos Joe recommended using delay instead of reverb and he suggested a particular setting.  He was right.  Reverb can actually muddy up a vocal. Using slight and subtle delay produces a much more pleasing vocal sound, at least to my ears.  Another tip I tried (not necessarily from Joe but from various tips over the years) is backing off from the mic.  I used to close in about 3 inches.  Now I've backed off to 5 or 6 and I started monitoring using the can on just the left ear, keeping the right ear off.  The pros do it that way and it produces a better result when you can hear your voice acoustically in one ear while electronically in the other.  I don't know why I never tried this before.  As I said, I've known for years that this is how the pros do this.  Now I know why.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

des0free

Hey JB, I enjoyed this, I think it is one of your best. The piano composition and playing is top notch, and I like how the song transitions to being more upbeat right before the vocals start. Pleasing lyrics too! The flute sections are also really cool. Great ending!  Leaves me in a good mood! 
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnbee

Quote from: des0free on May 08, 2024, 08:49:19 PMHey JB, I enjoyed this, I think it is one of your best. The piano composition and playing is top notch, and I like how the song transitions to being more upbeat right before the vocals start. Pleasing lyrics too! The flute sections are also really cool. Great ending!  Leaves me in a good mood! 
Thank you, Des!

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

StephenM

Quote from: Johnbee on May 08, 2024, 06:46:09 PMThanks to all who listened and commented.  I really love when people comment. :-*

As to your question, Blooby-In one of his videos Joe recommended using delay instead of reverb and he suggested a particular setting.  He was right.  Reverb can actually muddy up a vocal. Using slight and subtle delay produces a much more pleasing vocal sound, at least to my ears.  Another tip I tried (not necessarily from Joe but from various tips over the years) is backing off from the mic.  I used to close in about 3 inches.  Now I've backed off to 5 or 6 and I started monitoring using the can on just the left ear, keeping the right ear off.  The pros do it that way and it produces a better result when you can hear your voice acoustically in one ear while electronically in the other.  I don't know why I never tried this before.  As I said, I've known for years that this is how the pros do this.  Now I know why.

lots of pros sing very close to the mic... like an inch away with the pop filter close... there is no one right way to do it... just the way that works... I find singing at various angles to the mics (mouth angle) changes the sound... I generally use only 1 mic and it gets varied alot based on voice projection and placements etc... part of what I love about recording is experimenting... everything I am learning is already understood by millions of folks who are great at this.. I have been into copying vocal tracks and panning each slightly or greatly different with different effects on each... and the same with backers vocals... lots of experimentation... I tend to burn every bridge and keep almost no notes... and do it slightly different each time...and you already know that eq will really effect vocals and also the freq spectrum where most of the vocals sit... I am still a believer that mixing is every bit as creative as actually playing music or writing songs... and you can make yourself very different by this (and you are very different than almost anything going John)... I applaud your desire and your results... one of the things I love about the site is the music isn't all the same, as is most commercial applications... modern music is mostly mixed all the same way... for a reason.. it is what people are used to... most of it I cannot stand... honestly.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

Quote from: Johnbee on May 08, 2024, 06:46:09 PMThanks to all who listened and commented.  I really love when people comment. :-*

Thank you for the response. I have stumbled on the first few tips through the years, but as for the last, I will pass that along to John. It's nice to keep learning.

Blooby