Tonex one

Started by Zoltan, April 25, 2024, 11:24:25 AM

Zoltan

Sweet chili!

This is rad and cheap for what it offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T80n7-FIOSo
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ted

This looks like the kind of thing I would be into if I were into that kind of thing.

Seriously: My tendencies lately are (1) to avoid fiddly controls, and do the most I can with the straight forward controls on my pedals and my dumbed-down amp model (the Joyo American Sound), and (2) to avoid making music on my computer. So I'm not inclined to get one of these.

However I also have an affection for small, cheap, multifunctional things. So if I were to decide to want to make music on my computer more, I'd be all over this – particularly because it is also a USB interface.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

Quote from: Ted on April 26, 2024, 04:02:06 AMThis looks like the kind of thing I would be into if I were into that kind of thing.

I don't want to be the one to pee in your cereals, but that's JUST THE WAY i'd use this thing.

You could use it like the Joyo American sound pedal. First choose the amp you like the most (the capture based on that) and then forget about it. Maybe use the tuner and/or reverb if you'd like, but otherwise you'd be set for "life".

All your pedals would work wonderfully with that thing. Just saying...

Disclaimer. I have Uafx Lion 68 on its way. But it's apples and oranges. I like clementines.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

AndyR

I trust him (Henning) but his vid doesn't sell it to me personally. Mainly because I don't need it. But also because although he's a fantastic player he doesn't go for quite the same feel as I do, so it sounds "ok" rather than "holy F**K" to me.

But I will be looking at other videos from other folks who reach for the same vibes I do.

I think if I hadn't been experimenting (and buying) stuff to do the "amp" job without an amp... then this is probably the one I'd be looking at now.

I've got the Joyo American and British. I prefer the British (Marshall type). But they're both back in the hamper with the other unused pedals.

Instead I have both the UAFX Lion (Marshall Plexi) and the UAFX Woodrow (Fender Tweed Deluxe).

In the living room I either plug them into the aux of the stereo, the input of an old THR10, or headphones (Zoltan, get a splitter cable, 2 mono 1/4 inch into the outputs, a 1/4 inch TRS socket other end, plug the headphones in ... "WOAH!" ... It is designed to do that if you want, but it doesn't seem widely advertised or documented)

On the board in the studio they both go through the UAFX Ox Stomp with their own cabs switched off. If I hadn't bought the Ox Stomp first (to put a Laney L5 Studio valve amp through), I'd happily use the cabs in the Lion and the Woodrow. The Ox has the same cabs but ALL of them and a lot more control over mics and... Reverb and Delay effects.

The other guitarist, after hearing the sounds I was making, got the UAFX Dream 65 (Fender Deluxe 65). I do have some slight yearnings for one of those myself - but I don't play with as crystal clean sound as he does (and a Plexi does similar if you can manage to control your use of the Volume controls!).

Back to the Tonex One, I'm not sure I'm into profiles. I like the way UAFX is modelling them instead. BUT, if you come across a profile that NAILS what you want... who cares what it is?!?!

I'm also VERY into what UAFX is doing with modelling cab/mic/room. We've experienced IR stuff - a complicated static frequency filter - and some are cool. But the UAFX modelling of the dynamic amp signal to cab/mic/room just feels more "real".

If I did get the Tonex, I'd be switching the cabs off and running it into the Ox Stomp.

VERY VERY INTERESTING THOUGH.
Seems you can't hardly win - you get all excited, buy the best thing since they invited King Prawn Dhansak (guess what I'm cooking tonight! ;D) and then next week someone betters it...

Henning got very excited about the Lion. But that was more "if you want xyz... (plexi) ...you must get this" and he went to some effort later to build a giggable rig based on the Lion and powered speaker.
With this one, he was pretty much telling me "every guitarist should have this"

It does sound "ground breaking".
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Zoltan

Quote from: AndyR on April 26, 2024, 09:52:08 AMI trust him (Henning) but his vid doesn't sell it to me personally. Mainly because I don't need it. But also because although he's a fantastic player he doesn't go for quite the same feel as I do, so it sounds "ok" rather than "holy F**K" to me.

You're hitting a lot of the same notes here that i do! I mean i'm not into Hennings playing and most of the demos i'm hearing aren't enough to make me pull the trigger. In this case the Hennings video was the first i found so i posted that.

I think it wasn't that long ago that you had just started drooling at Uafx Lion 68? You seem to move fast :D

If one is content with using computer for everything i'd still recommend Neural Amp modeler over any of these. It can do everything at the cost of zero. I had already kinda ditched the idea of using the Uafx Dream 65 as it felt even faster and easier to just use Neural Amp modeler... But then i gave it yet another go and presto! Another thing was that i was starting to feel stupid feeding all of these increasinly pricey and vintagey fuzzes into the computer :D

And yes i know it's the same thing with these pedals... BUT that Uafx Lion 68 just called my name from the get go.

I can get great tones with Dream 65 and fuzz pedals, but feeding fuzzes into a Plexi is more to my liking. It's more of a next level thing!

If i didn't have any of these i would rush out and buy Tonex one. Or wait and buy something similar as these really are the glory days as far as guitar amp modelling goes. I still might do so for bass sounds, but i'm hoping Uafx will bring out the Ampeg bass amp.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

AndyR

This

Quote from: Zoltan on April 26, 2024, 10:33:45 AMIf i didn't have any of these i would rush out and buy Tonex one.

and this...

Quote from: Zoltan on April 26, 2024, 10:33:45 AMbut i'm hoping Uafx will bring out the Ampeg bass amp.

Yep, that's me too
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ted

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

I wasn't going to bump this up, but Ted did it for me so here goes...

For those reading this. The world is your oyster. There's so many options. To anyone (except AndyR) reading this. The Line6 Pod Express might be a better option. At least it's a valid option. Lots of bang for the buck.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

AndyR

Quote from: Zoltan on Today at 03:39:33 AMI wasn't going to bump this up, but Ted did it for me so here goes...

For those reading this. The world is your oyster. There's so many options. To anyone (except AndyR) reading this. The Line6 Pod Express might be a better option. At least it's a valid option. Lots of bang for the buck.

;D I've got the original Line6 POD ;D

I got it out when I got the UA Ox Stomp.
Have I recounted that here?

It sounds pretty good with more modern speaker emulation.

But it's back in its box now.

I came online to see whether you'd posted about the DSM & Humboldt Simplifier X yet? ;D

I was rehearsing via Far Play earlier using the UA Lion and UA Woodrow - getting fabulous sounds out of them now. Very responsive to guitar controls and a clean boost pedal. I'm using their speaker emulations, they go into the Ox with it's DI options engaged (no speakers) so that I can use it's Delay/Chorus and Reverb.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1