'Showtime' - a Greeny Monday original

Started by Greeny, April 15, 2024, 04:26:59 AM

Greeny

Showtime_GREENY
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A song primarily about autism and social awkwardness, which my ongoing journey of self-discovery is slowly making sense of. If you struggle to make eye contact with cashiers in shops, you know what I mean.

This is my Telecaster thinline with a Nobels ODR-1 and the new ALABS Cetus reverb pedal, which I'm absolutely addicted to. Especially the Plate setting here. Plus GB drums and keys and my Ibanez bass. All recorded and mixed on the MBR.

Never thought I'd get Scalectrix in a lyric!

Showtime

Every joke you know
is too close to the bone
pianos falling - best look out below
in the state of paralytica
we grin like skeletons
drop the mic like 14 megatons

we've been dicking around
a lifetime dicking around

now its showtime
we've been waiting in the wings
its go time
for the saints of stupid things
and all the people who don't know
in the supermarket queue how to say hello, hello, hello
hello hello hello

I think I know the problem
but I have no diagnosis
some of us aren't wired quite the same
my scalectrix mind keeps coming off the track
car crash days when no-one has your back

we've been dicking around
a lifetime dicking around

now its showtime
we've been waiting in the wings
its go time
for the saints of stupid things
and all the people who don't know
in the supermarket queue how to say hello, hello, hello
hello hello hello

thetworegs

Labeled and processed ....when we were  lads there were none...you were just weird...either basking in that weirdness or sinking with it ... great job on this... I've been dicking around most of my life and I'm not ready for showtime I still need the time in rehearsals

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

StephenM

The first time I just listened to this without paying much attention to the words.  Usually I have to listen many times to get the lyrics, if I am even interested at all in them.  The voice becomes part of the music for me and it all blends.  Reading them this time while listening.  Just reading the lyrics alone without the music is valuable enough.
It actually seems kind of weird to hear them in the music.  I really love the guitars in this.  There is alot of color and very relaxing qualities to it. At times it sounds like some of the Rush guitars in their later music... which I really love.

super track.  I can relate. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Blooby

I am a tad miffed that I have a room stuffed to the rafters with gear, and create this on a MBR. Downloaded.

Love the break with the quarter note bass drum, which gives way to that lovely phaser and the staccato strings. So bloody catchy as well. One of my favorites from you, which is saying quite as bit.

You're so consistently good, I would almost welcome a dog now and again.

Blooby

Farrell Jackson

It's great to hear a Greeny Monday song again. From the lyrics/vocals to the music this is outstanding! A lovely bass line and the guitars sparkle. A lot going on in the mix but I can hear things clearly. That is a sign of a good mix if my old, used and abused, ears can pick it up. I have a grand daughter that has been diagnosed as being slightly on the Autism spectrum so the lyrics hit close to home. A wonderful song! 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

My wife's sister has autism so i know how difficult it is. This song is brilliants well made. The music is like spanning different eras in its sound. I get a slightly Bowie-ish vibe from the 90's in this.
Brilliant delay fx on the guitars. top notch production. A real catchy chorus too.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

chapperz66

What a great song.  Another absolute winner. I agree with Blooby - this production would be impressive however it was recorded.  The ability to achieve this on the MBR shows you mastery of the device.  The imagery of the lyrics is very special.

I'm a fan.

Ray Brookes

Superb songwriting with masterful performance/production. Same as Darren I get a Bowie vibe with the vocal. Lyrics are great with stellar imagery.
Ray Brookes

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pru