In a band again

Started by Pete C, June 19, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

Pete C

Thanks for your comments!  One thing I noticed after not playing out for 10 years was how heavy my amp is. Nearly put my back out carrying it downstairs and loading it in the car. It's a heavy old Peavey 2x12 combo. Any recommendations for something loud but light ?

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

That's awesome Pete, I hope it stays fun. Amps are heavy & I've been trying to get my gear as light as possible. I play mostly acoustic instruments and put them into my Boss RC300 right into my PA. I do have a small Blackstar studio amp and the tones on it are stellar, you should check out some of there larger amps.
I recently booked my 1st bar gig in probably 3 years (maybe more) for August and another in Sept. I perform kids music for a living (6-7 days a week) but 3 hours at a bar playing contemporary music is another beast all together. I'm looking forward to it but also a little nervous. I would like to toss in some more Adult/bar gigs into my schedule just to keep it interesting if I can sneak back into the local circuit...but then I think about that horrible 10pm-2am slot and I start to rethink.
Good luck with the band brother, record some rehearsals...we want to hear.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Flash Harry

Quote from: Pete C on June 20, 2019, 12:30:36 PMThanks for your comments!  One thing I noticed after not playing out for 10 years was how heavy my amp is. Nearly put my back out carrying it downstairs and loading it in the car. It's a heavy old Peavey 2x12 combo. Any recommendations for something loud but light ?

Pete

Is it this one

I use one and it's bloody heavy - not as heavy as my mate's Fender Twin..

Another mate has just bought a Blackstar Studio 10. It sounds very nice and doesn't require a fork-lift to carry it into a gig.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Farrell Jackson

Pete, the older we get the heavier the amps get, lol. I agree with going with something lighter. As others have mentioned check out the Blackstar modeling amps but get one with enough power and at least a 12" speaker. Check out the Blackstar ID:30TVP 30-watt 1x12" Combo Amp. I don't own this amp but I do own a smaller Blackstar 10 watter for the studio and it sounds great. Good luck with your search...there are a lot to choose from but make sure it has enough power to carry the low end.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Pete C

The heavy amp is one of these:

A Peavey Transformer 212 which is a modelling amp which I used in my last 2 bands. Gave me a nice simple set up with 4 banks of 4 user presets so I could set a bank up with a clean tone, a crunch tone and a lead tone. Good choice of UK and US amp models and some built in effects.

What I might do at the next rehearsal is try my Peavey Express 112  which is a lot lighter and 65 watts - thinking of putting my Zoom G5N in front as I can set up a few effects such as overdrive, chorus, delay and use them like stomp boxes.

Too soon to be investing in another amp but seems like Blackstar may be the way to go. Thanks for the recommendations
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Hilary

Here's mine - it's tiny and looks like a toy - weight in the box 3.2kg :D

Roland mobile cube
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Mike_S

Quote from: Hilary on June 21, 2019, 02:36:13 PMHere's mine - it's tiny and looks like a toy - weight in the box 3.2kg :D

Roland mobile cube

Looked that up Hilary.... that looks good! (I have a Roland Cube which is small to but sounds good!)

Congrats Pete on the new band... I guess playing live in a gigging band must be a great feeling. I have never played guitar in front of an audience... except my dog Lilly who doesn't seem to mind. Even my missus sits in a different room! :)

But yes like others have said... please continue to post on here Pete if you find time. I think it can work well in unison with a gigging band like Blooby and Lurker have shown... they sometimes post live performances here and it's cool to here.

Anyway best of luck with the band!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Jarle

Congrats, playing in a band is great, nothing like performing live. You complain about the heavy lifting, you play guitar, try playing drums.  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-800