Recent posts

Original Songs / Re: Spare Change (loose and lo...
Last post by StephenM - Today at 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: Jimmy McCullochEnjoyer on Today at 01:54:40 PM
Quote from: StephenM on Today at 09:17:33 AM
Quote from: Jimmy McCullochEnjoyer on Today at 09:05:46 AMThis was a fun one to play one. It's nice to have my 40 watt back and sounding better than ever.

welcome to SC Jimmy!  did you play on this?

I did. My name is John though. Jimmy McCulloch is the name of my favourite guitarist.

got it.... welcome John!  hopefully I will get to hear some of your tunes! 
Quote from: StephenM on Today at 09:17:33 AM
Quote from: Jimmy McCullochEnjoyer on Today at 09:05:46 AMThis was a fun one to play one. It's nice to have my 40 watt back and sounding better than ever.

I did. My name is John though. Jimmy McCulloch is the name of my favourite guitarist.
Original Songs / Hamster Wheel
Last post by Ray Brookes - Today at 01:46:27 PM
Two-A-Penny standing on the corner
Waiting for the nights first john
Telephone way out of credit
No chance to call anyone
Here comes Hotshot De Angelo
In his top-down pimpmobile
Checking on his chicks to see they're turning tricks
Got 'em all on his hamster wheel.

Gonna be a night for sinners
Gonna be a hot busy night
De Angelo keeping it all controlled
Everything nailed down tight
Some teenage boys cruising
Looking to make their first deal
Two A Penny using and losing
Stuck forever on the hamster wheel.

Two A Penny disappeared one night
Got into the wrong car
The window of fate left open
The door of fate left ajar
Here comes Hotshot De Angelo
A replacement close on his heels
Lying down, standing up or kneeling
Another stuck on his hamster wheel.
Original Songs / Re: Positivity-Original
Last post by StephenM - Today at 09:27:59 AM
Quote from: Johnbee on May 08, 2024, 06:46:09 PMThanks to all who listened and commented.  I really love when people comment. :-*

As to your question, Blooby-In one of his videos Joe recommended using delay instead of reverb and he suggested a particular setting.  He was right.  Reverb can actually muddy up a vocal. Using slight and subtle delay produces a much more pleasing vocal sound, at least to my ears.  Another tip I tried (not necessarily from Joe but from various tips over the years) is backing off from the mic.  I used to close in about 3 inches.  Now I've backed off to 5 or 6 and I started monitoring using the can on just the left ear, keeping the right ear off.  The pros do it that way and it produces a better result when you can hear your voice acoustically in one ear while electronically in the other.  I don't know why I never tried this before.  As I said, I've known for years that this is how the pros do this.  Now I know why.

:) John B

lots of pros sing very close to the mic... like an inch away with the pop filter close... there is no one right way to do it... just the way that works... I find singing at various angles to the mics (mouth angle) changes the sound... I generally use only 1 mic and it gets varied alot based on voice projection and placements etc... part of what I love about recording is experimenting... everything I am learning is already understood by millions of folks who are great at this.. I have been into copying vocal tracks and panning each slightly or greatly different with different effects on each... and the same with backers vocals... lots of experimentation... I tend to burn every bridge and keep almost no notes... and do it slightly different each time...and you already know that eq will really effect vocals and also the freq spectrum where most of the vocals sit... I am still a believer that mixing is every bit as creative as actually playing music or writing songs... and you can make yourself very different by this (and you are very different than almost anything going John)... I applaud your desire and your results... one of the things I love about the site is the music isn't all the same, as is most commercial applications... modern music is mostly mixed all the same way... for a reason.. it is what people are used to... most of it I cannot stand... honestly.
Original Songs / Re: Things They Could Not Chan...
Last post by Farrell Jackson - Today at 09:26:33 AM
A real cool song Willie. This one has a Tom Petty vibe to it and I dig that! Great vocals and guitars...the lead fills, volume swells and solos float along at just the right level. Excellent songwriting!
Original Songs / Re: Spare Change (loose and lo...
Last post by StephenM - Today at 09:17:33 AM

This was a fun one to play one. It's nice to have my 40 watt back and sounding better than ever.
Hi all, must have woken up in a bit of a pessimistic mood when I wrote the lyrics to this.  Willie

Kept on walking straight ahead
There was no-one round they'd gone to bed
They were not sleeping
They worried 'bout the things
They could not change

The Governments just would not help
Just told us tighten up your belt
Another notch or two
But we know that we'll get through

ooooh la la la la
ooooh la la la la

My shoes were worn
And full of holes
I could touch the pavement through the soles
One good shirt and one good vest
Now no-one had a Sunday best

Churches empty no-one prayed
Everyone just seemed afraid
They'd meet God soon enough
They've got things oh so rough

Ooooh la la la la
Ooooh la la la la

Looted shops and broken glass
The lifestyle of the working class
But no-one worked there were no jobs
And factories had turned to rust
And rival gangs patrolled the streets
Would kill each other when they meet

Instrumental

Food was rationed just enough
And any dreams had turned to dust
But lords and ladies dined so well
They had no idea of this hell

I kept on walking straight ahead
There was no-one around they'd gone to bed
But they were not sleeping
They worried 'bout the things
They could not change

Ooooh la la la la
Ooooh la la la la

Outro

Original Songs / Re: Never Stop Loving You
Last post by StephenM - Yesterday at 01:28:21 PM
and a bit later, I did spin and twirl... and it wasn't alcohol related... it was this song and some of the others too...

I made up my mind to not care anymore what people think... and be me... lol...thanks for helping me..

I don't ever wanna stop dancing, running, jumping, shouting... having a swell time!  This song reminds me of that... super
Original Songs / (I'm Your) Forever Guy
Last post by StephenM - Yesterday at 11:52:02 AM
This is the first song of 3 that I wrote geared toward the romance and marriage of my nephew David Levi to his love Erika!

I never intended this to be used at the wedding but maybe for the reception... also played with just a vocal and acoustic guitar works in that environment and likely makes this better received...

this version I love but the others did not... it just is not their thing and that included my wife, sister, and the rest...

which is also a reason I would not be able to gather a following... just too many genre's and too many different influences.... it works for me but most people don't think like that...
if you are going to market stuff, you have to identify audience and play to that which is one reason I would never be successful per se... lol...I notice when I go to play live that I usually change the entire set list from what I was going to play to what I play in that moment as I stand at the crowd...

pro's don't do that...

but I don't care... also if you are going to be noticed you have to be promoted and almost ad nauseum... I don't like over promotion and there are alot of people doing it imo... but lets face it there are so many people wanting some attention... I actually like being a microartist... kind of like a microbeer or whiskey... most won't ever get to taste it...
this site works for me... I like it and I like the artists who are involved...and the music is excellent... check out the playlist right now... I would take it over most radio stations any day...it's various, its good... it ain't all the same and it isn't commercial and yet it has great songs. just my opinion....

Lying next to you in the tall grass I'm not even worried about ants in my pants.  I'll just focus on your mesmerizing beauty.  It will keep me from going loony. 
Why do I love her and why does she love me?  Why does she love me remains a mystery.  why do I love her and why does she love me?  Grace from heaven, remains a mystery... mystery.
Baby listen, look me in the eye.  Today I tell ya, I'm your forever guy.  When life gets hard and you wonder how we'll make it.  Take my hand we'll never have to fake it.
Why do I love her and why does she love me?  Why does she love me remains a mystery.  why do I love her and why does she love me?  Grace from heaven, remains a mystery... mystery.I'm Your) Forever Guy (the mix).mp3