Nothing You Can Do by Oldrottenhead

Started by Oldrottenhead, November 02, 2022, 03:37:44 PM

Oldrottenhead

Nothing You Can Do - 02 11 2022, 21.13
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Yesterday this started off as a jaunty little number, i had a nice chord progression and a rough lyric , just needed time to record it. However, before i went to bed last night , i watched the german remake of "All Quiet On the Western Front".
So today when i plugged in to record my jaunty little tune, this happened to it.
It is what it is.
Pictures in the flames
They flicker and they burn
Dance around your dreams
Hide behind the sun
Tell you where to go
Tell you what to do
There's nothing
Nothing
You can do

Nothings as it seems
Faces in the crowd
Only random
Patterns in the clouds
There's no order
No sequence
There's nothing
Nothing
You can do

You've no control
You have no say
Lost in the flow
There's nothing
Nothing you can do

Pictures in the flames
They flicker and they burn
Dance around your dreams
And hide behind the sun
Tell you where to go
Tell you what to do
There's nothing
Nothing
You can do
Nothing You Can Do
W/M
by
Oldrottenhead
Drums via GarageBand
HB tele copy
HB bass guitar
Synths via akai mk2 mini
and
Vox
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

thetworegs

I've got that on my watchlist on Netflix ....could be a song about the interest rate too🤬 good one Jim

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

SE

Watched it the other day a really good watch.
This has a really cool vibe from the synth and drums top off with the vocal delivery and lyrics.
recorder
Boss BR-80

Zoltan

The vocals sound great. I like the understated drum sound, and the simplistic rhythms. I actually think it would work even better with simplified / shorter drum fills. The way the drums are playing now makes the drum fills to draw too much attention.

The guitars have this jangly underproduced sound to them that fits the track well. The vocals and the lyrics are really the key to this song. I like the idea and the LO-FI quality of it all, but it does start to lose its steam near the end. Somekind of production tricks, playing around with the arrangement (dropping instruments in / out) or something would help the song to carry better.

I know it's a quick one, but it does have potential for more if you're into tinkering.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Redler

I like the captivating atmosphere and the guitar sounds great via phones! Magic.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Rene Asologuitar

Enjoying this song!!!
Very emotional vocals, and I am so glad to hear this tune.
Simply lovely!
Rene

Blooby

Between the guitar bits and that constant synth (or whatever that instrument is), I dig the trance-like quality this induces. Vocals stellar as always.

Blooby

Ted

The YouTube algorithm was flailing around yesterday – experimenting on me, I think – pitching me the kinds of videos that I never watch just to see what kind of random garbage I might click on. And I rewarded the algorithm by clicking on "World War II Historian Rates 8 WWII Battle Scenes In Movies And TV | How Real Is It?."

So I too am reflecting about war. Although, if I hadn't read your description of how this song came about, I'm not sure if I would have deduced this song was a reaction to a war movie – or an anti-war movie. That only means that you didn't hit me over the head with it. There is definitely a sense of being caught up on forces beyond one's control. With that, plus the YouTube algorithm's effect on my thoughts, maybe I would have gotten there on my own.

This is a classic ORH song. I hear moments of David Lowrey in your delivery – and not for the first time. I may be the only one who can hear this.

PS: Zolan has some good ideas, if you haven't already moved on to two more songs.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI hear moments of David Lowrey in your delivery – and not for the first time. I may be the only one who can hear this.
been listening to  " The Palace Guards" by mr lowrey.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Trist

enjoyed the natural feel and vibe to this, the flow and emotion created its subtle but works for me,
the remake of all is quiet is awesome, best movie of last year in my opinion