Firmware Update (version 1.04) for Micro BR

Started by 64Guitars, July 06, 2009, 10:14:08 PM

guitarron

Quote from: Migs on July 07, 2009, 05:45:28 PM
Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on July 07, 2009, 12:44:21 PMPersonally, I'll wait for Roland/Boss USA to issue the update. I'd hate to find that things get translated to German or something =)

...or worse... all your songs could come out like Nena's 99 luftballons
lmao-thats a blast from the past

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Blooby

Quote from: Migs on July 07, 2009, 05:45:28 PM
Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on July 07, 2009, 12:44:21 PMPersonally, I'll wait for Roland/Boss USA to issue the update. I'd hate to find that things get translated to German or something =)
...or worse... all your songs could come out like Nena's 99 luftballons

I agree.  That was funny as Hell.

Blooby

Ted

Hey 64,  Have you ever heard of anyone hacking a BR of any kind, and adding unsupported features, or completely replacing the OS?  BR Linux!

Just wondering.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on July 07, 2009, 06:39:47 PMHey 64,  Have you ever heard of anyone hacking a BR of any kind, and adding unsupported features, or completely replacing the OS?  BR Linux!

Just wondering.

No. I haven't heard of anything like that. I would imagine that it would be pretty hard to make any useful changes to the code without reverse-engineering the OS or getting access to the source code. Although, you could probably make simple text changes or replace preset patches by editing the update files (unless it does a checksum on the files before updating to authenticate them). But, why bother when there's already a bank of user patches which you can easily rewrite without hacking. The only useful hack I can think of would be to replace the wav samples for one of the drum kits to make your own custom kit. It might be possible to do that by editing the update files, though it wouldn't be easy.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ted

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 07, 2009, 08:34:19 PMBut, why bother when there's already a bank of user patches which you can easily rewrite without hacking.

Why?  Mostly because I think it's cool when hackers do stuff like that.  (See iPodLinux and Xbox Linux.) But also MIDI support, editable drum patterns, and some of the other things on the wish list that don't involve hacking the interface.

Alas, the MicroBR is not an iPod or an Xbox, so there's nowhere near the demand for an alternative OS.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on July 07, 2009, 08:50:12 PMWhy?  Mostly because I think it's cool when hackers do stuff like that.  (See iPodLinux and Xbox Linux.) But also MIDI support, editable drum patterns, and some of the other things on the wish list that don't involve hacking the interface.

My rhetorical "Why?" was only in reference to changing preset patches by hacking the update files. A complete replacement OS that would add new features would be cool. But I don't expect to ever see one since Roland isn't likely to release their source code and reverse-engineering the existing OS would be a big job (and probably illegal). By the time anyone could figure it out, the BR would be replaced by a newer, better model anyway.

I think the only way we'll ever see some of the things from our Micro BR wish list is if Roland releases a "Micro BR Version 2" with those features. When they did that with the BR-900 and BR-1600, they made the firmware update available for free to owners of the original 900 and 1600 so that they could have a version 2 machine without buying new hardware.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Glenn Mitchell

1.03, but I remember installing this update. I've had mine for a few years now.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

cuthbert

Mine came with 1.03....bought it new on eBay a few weeks ago.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Jim1970

Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

I asked Roland support, and this was their response:

QuoteWe are looking into getting it on our site, but at this time the firmware update is not available for download. If you'd like to have your Micro BR updated, you can send it to us and our Service Center will do this for you. Contact Customer Service at 323-890-3700 and they will give you the information you need to send it in.

For free?

They didn't respond to my question about what the update fixes or improves, so I'll ask again and post the response here.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac