Only Time-by John B.

Started by Johnbee, May 13, 2010, 12:25:45 AM

Gary F

Welcome Johnbee!!!!
Great song!!!Love the backing vocals!!! Great production!!!
Gary

Satchwood

Welcome John B and great first song post ~ wOw.!.!  Well recorded and performed, great vocals & keyboard/synth work.!.  Deep lyrics...:.
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

SwanSong

Very nice song well produced and a lot of imagination
went into this song. executed like aprofessional this song
ha s strong potential for the air waves. and other commerical
use. best of luck take care neil ..............................................

Johnbee

Dan, Greeny,Jim, Tony, Gary, Satch and Swan;
Thanks so much!  Getting lots of friendly feedback here.
There's much more where that came from and I will post another soon, but I want to review more of others tunes to return the equal time you are so graciously giving me.

:) John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

SE

Very well produced, you must have spent a lot of time on this it sounds excellent, well done.
recorder
Boss BR-80

launched

Man, this was a great roller coaster ride. First of all, I think it was wise to keep your friend's acoustic guitar as it added the perfect bite to keep it from sounding too electronic. And I loved that bass line, too. IMO, it's all about adding what is needed no matter who does it, so I like where you are going with that.

I'm a sucker for good harmonies - you got me there.  8) Very Alan Parsonsish. Love it. And then you go into that Tony Banks style saw solo to top it all off. Can't believe this song is five minutes long as it flies by so fast.

Looks like 2010 will be a great year for you!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Johnbee

Side Effect & Launched;
Thanks so much for your kind words.  I do spend a great deal of time on my projects.  It's well worth it for feedback like yours.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

Ferryman

John, this is a real gem, very clever song, very nicely played and well produced. There is a nice proggy vibe here as others have notice (of which I am a great fan) but it's not overdone. The keyboard parts are very clever and I like the way you use the stereo image with some nice panning of sounds and really "open" mix. It's a great song as well with a very nice performance of all the instrumental parts. I assume you played them all, do tell us? And what was it recorded on?

Just one small production thought from me. I felt your lead vocal got a little lost in some places, especially when you go high. The level is about right, I just wonder if a bit more compression on the vox might help to bring out the quieter parts. But that's only nit-picking. I still loved this! It certainly is evident that a lot of effort has gone into this.

BTW, I think you have a nice original sound here, the only kind of vibe I was getting was a bit of Gary Wright (Dream Weaver). Don't know if you would see that as a good thing....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnbee

Thanks Nigel for the kind words.  :)
I played all the instruments except the bass and the acoustic guitar, both of which were done by my friend, Mr. Marc Halikas who is an excellent string man in every way.

This was done using MIDI with two programs in combination with each other-Samplitude Music Studio (Magix) and Mixcraft 5 (Acoustica).  All of the sounds are from their libraries except the first solo which was a free plugin of a chinese dizi flute.  Those into MIDI can fine it here;
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1811.html

The outgoing synth solo was a minimoog model, also a free plugin:
http://www.spacenoah.com/musicsoftware/free-moog-vsti-emulator.htm
Thanks for the Gary Wright compare.  "Dream Weaver" was always a favorite of mine.

-Duke Ellington

Farrell Jackson

John, I thought it would be interesting to check out your first post at Songcrafters from 2010. I have to say this is excellent music and lyric writing! Great vocals and piano as well. You came in with talent and still have it. A super song!   
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?