Only Time-by John B.

Started by Johnbee, May 13, 2010, 12:25:45 AM

Johnbee

Only Time
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is the first song I'm posting for review here.  It's called "Only Time".  I wrote and recorded it in February of 2010.  It's kind of about a mentally abusive relationship (not mine).

It was done in MIDI but I had a friend, Marc Halikas do a real bass part with his Fender Precision.  He also sent me an acoustic guitar part with it which I didn't like at first, but eventually warmed up to mainly because some of the chords he uses adds some intensity to parts of it.  The main keyboard is a Wurlitzer model from Mixcraft 5s library.  I originally used a DX7 sound there but decided I liked the classic Wurlitzer sound better.  Something you'll find out about me eventually is that I'm very big on Vintage Synths and keyboards.  I recently found out that the electric piano sound on many of the big hits of the 70s was actually more the Wurlitzer and not as much the Fender Rhodes, as many thought.  Oh well, enough of my ranting.  Here's the lyrics;

How carelessly you wound me
And how easily I bleed
Is it a question of your cruelty
Or an answer to my need?
I'm staring in a mirror
Not liking what's become of me
And every time I try to fight
The less of you I see

It's all in time
But never rhymes

Sadistically you call me
And masochistically I'm there
And other than abusing me again
I fail to see why you even care
Not like you even noticed
How many times I was trying to be
Something you look upon with a value
Someone you've come to actually need

Not much to show
So many lies you're dealin'
Don't want to know
Cos only time will heal me now

The was something that you said once
That stays inside my mind
A long hard way of living
Makes it hard to trust my kind
You never spelled out what you meant
And never clarified
The kind you thought I was back then
So the pain could not subside

How recklessly you use me
And how defenselessly I stand
I wish there was a way to leave you now
I cannot meet with your demands
Still there's something that I cling to
Just a thought that never goes
But it never will make sense to me
Living and lying, I suppose
Why would you care
So many times I've told you
Doesn't seem fair
But only time will heal me now

C 2010 John Bowen

I hope I'm doing this right.

Enjoy!

:) John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

SteveB

JBE - Very professionally played and produced, and with a meaningful lyric. This would make a great album track. Well done to all concerned.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Redler

Hello John and welcome from Finland!! (I read your post on "introduce yourself"-thread)

This was stunning way to enter the site!! I'm listening your tune third time in a row and I really like it. I like proggy 70's vibe on this. The arrangement is just brilliant. This sounds really professional - you performed this so well. Thanks for adding the lyrics, too.

I'm sure you enjoy to be here! I want to hear more music from you...

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

like kari i read your introduction post and went to your soundclick site and listened to all your songs there , so i have heard this one already. i loved hearing it at soundclick now hearing it again and reading the lyrics im getting a second bigger hit from it. also i am not usually a fan of midi produced sounds but your fantastic production brings a humanity to the song and sounds that is often lacking in midi created music.

bravo.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Wonderful first song, can't wait to hear more.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Johnbee

SteveB, Kari, ORH & Willie;
Thanks so much, guys!  I think I've found a great musical "home" here!

:) John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

danieldesete

welcome aboard John. Yes you'll always feel at home here. thanks for sharing this song,
daniel
hou hou ha ha

Greeny

First of all, welcome!

This reminds me of Rupert Holmes or Andrew Gold - i.e. it's great seventies-influenced singer-songwriting to my ears. The production and composition (both musically and lyrically) are excellent, and there's lots of nice little twists and turns along the way. This clearly took a lot of time and care to put together. Really superior work. Looking forward to hearing more songs posted.

Jim1970

Welcome John!!!
This was one Great well produced Song!!

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

JIM
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Wow, this is a fantastic hello, here I am! It's a great well rounded song, and a treat to listen to, welcome aboard.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR