Started by Mike_S, November 30, 2023, 04:04:44 PM

Mike_S

Coming In Out Of The Cold
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Instr2023 (banner image missing)

Instrumental Fest

Been working on this for ages. It was meant to be a non-instrumental but I started noodling with it one night and started to want to do something with it for the instrumental fest.

I got out the Boss SY 200 and did the lead with that. I did a lot of takes till I could make an attempt at doing it the whole way through without any major mistakes. The first minute or so is learned and after that its improvised.

2 rhythm guitars left and right (mexican strat)
1 lead with Boss SY 200 (Harley Benton LP)
Bass played on guitar through a Bass filter on SY 200 (Harley Benton LP)
Drums GarageBand

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Johnbee

Sounds very intense and with the title I'm wondering what lyrical concept you originally had.

Very pleasing.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Geir

This sounds great Mike. Very melodic from the start, but you also play very melodic in the improvised part. I love it.

Well done
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Farrell Jackson

I really like this melody Mike. The guitar through the bass filter works pretty darn good at getting a realistic bass sound. I like the delay and a slight wah (?) effects on the guitar lead Nice work here!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

At first, I thought it sounded like it would be a bossa nova, but then suddenly it began reminding me of a Seventies movie soundtrack, you know, incidental music while a bad motorscooter walks down rainy streets. It does keep that bossa nova beat throughout.

You got some really nice jangle from that Les Paul, and a great lead tone as well.

Nice one Mike!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

thetworegs

Loving that laid back groove your almost singing with the synthy guitar line good one Mike perfect for this cold morning drinking coffee

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Zoltan

This has that late 70's - early 80's fusion vibe. That BOSS pedals seems to work great in your hands. I'm kinda tempted to tell you the truth, but i would probably just make somekind of "baby farts" with it.

The swirly rhythm guitars and (yet again) fusion-esque bass playing really hit the spot. There's enough melodic interest to work as an instrumental, but it's so lyrical that it would also work even as a vocal song.

Great stuff Mike!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

What a brilliant instrumental,  I love that sound, I guess it's a guitar effect but sounds like a synth keyboard?
Great music and melody all the way through. 
The drums sound just right too.
Great improvisation.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

StephenM

a lead guitar master

I really like the synth thing.  The bass works like a keyboard bass...it sounds great.

you always know how to get some great rhythms going from "picking" or programming the drums... that is such a trademark.  Knowing your dad was such a great drummer I see where you get that from.

Later down the road you could sing on this.  Also the improvisational lead sounds great... I think this is the mark of a really great player...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ray Brookes

This is excellent, Mike. Great FX on the guitars and lovely melodic content. Soaring improvisations that leaves the listener wanting more.
Ray Brookes