"Homemade Swedish meatballs" a Geir original instrumental

Started by Geir, November 30, 2023, 02:41:02 PM

Geir

Geir - Homemade Swedish meatballs (320)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Instr2023 (banner image missing)

A couple of days ago I gave into a cyber Monday offer and got "Tomofon", a sort of, but not quite, samplingsynth. It seemed a bit intimidating, but it has some "automatic" mode to help you create your own patches from your samples.

So I started sampling stuff. My old out-of-tune piano. My voice. A glass half full of Diet Coke. A lamp.  And I whistled one note that I sampled. All these sounds I converted to instruments that I used in this tune. Can you guess what ended up being used for the bass? That's right it was the lamp. The fucking IKEA lamp!!!!!!

The two lead sounds are from my whistle-note and my voice.

OK so the lamp is Swedish, so is the glass (also IKEA). Tomofon, the app is also Swedish .... do you begin to se a pattern here? Well I can confirm that the two apps used to make the drums (Slammer) and percussion (Skaka) are also Swedish, and so is the amplifier-app (STARK) I used on the "lamp-bass" and the atmospheric reverbish app I used on both the lead-sounds (rymdigare).  That's the elaborate explanation for the title of the tune ::)

The bass : IMG_0236.jpeg

The "glockenspiel" : IMG_0235.jpeg

The lead :  IMG_0240.jpeg 
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

StephenM

so creative Geir and so fun and good outcome! 
the keys overall remind me of a favorite keyboard player in a famous band... his name was Dennis DeYoung... not exactly all of it but lots of the it, namely in playing styles... very very good

the band by the way was Styx... which were an amazing band.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Farrell Jackson

I'm not sure how you made all these normal objects sound so good but you did! This is very creative with the description of how you went about it. Nice!
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

cuthbert

Crazy-cool sounds that make a great tune together. Reminds me a bit of Tomita in the whistley sound you got - I love how you were able to make all these sounds out of household objects (as well as yourself). Very experimental, with a strong melody and I love that.

I'm going to have to look into this Tomofon.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Absolutely captivating and cool ....a modern version of a Fairlight...Uber cool...you could use bodily created sounds for samples.........talk about musique concrete .....burps, farts, knee slaps, your hand getting stuck in the door.....endless possibilities

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

thetworegs

"Jagg veldet mucker" I believe that to be Swedish for I like very much...I may be wrong in the translation but I do like the track ........very impressive from an old lamp a glass and a whistle

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Zoltan

Ok. It's official. When i grow up i want to become Geir. Then i want to live part time in Canada and half of the year in North Carolina. Occasionally i might turn towards Overdrive Distortion and Hyperdrive.

If i get hit by a Mac Track i might try to reborn as JohnBee. But with my luck i'll just reborn as a regular bee.
Then i'll sting Blooby when he's in the middle of a shred fest.

How that for friday?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Ray Brookes

Astonishing that you can get such cool sounds out of everyday objects and your voice. All in all whatever sampling magic is involved it has created a cool instrumental. Well done.
Ray Brookes

Mike_S

How you have put it together is brilliant but whats more you got a very listenable tune out of it too. Very enjoyable Geir

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Zoltan

I've been thinking this one a lot. The way you put it together is nothing short of inspired. And i'm truly happy that it was a plugin you used to make it happen.

If it were a somekind of sampling keyboard / gadget i would be mightily tempted, but i have easier time resisting plugins...

It's a great song made even greater by knowing how it was put together.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper