Hobo Blues II (Darren Gibbons and Stephen Moore) (Zoltan Production and lead guitar)

Started by StephenM, November 19, 2023, 03:41:10 PM

StephenM

Hobo Blues (Zoltan Lead)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So Darren G so graciously allowed me to tinker with his wonderful track Hobo Blues.  I thought it was amazing.  He sent me some lyrics that he had and I used them and with a bit of modification and then went into the whole ad lib sort of lyric of you know who, me?  Well... yes so I said lets see if we get Zoltan to be involved in this too... so this is Darren G on all the music and the music production and lyrics. Me on vocals and lyrics.... and the wonderful and amazing additions by the great Zoltan!  Golly gee willickers... I feel like a kid in a candy storeStephHOOBO V2.mp3Not a valid attachment ID.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Hobo Blue's
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hobo Blue's.mp3

so here is a mix I did... at the end of the day... I think Zoltan is an amazing producer... and if I were going to sell stuff... I would follow his advice..

but this is a rogue mix...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

After hearing this i said to Stephen that from now on he will be wearing gold chains and baseball cap backwards.

Darren is handling the "Jamies Cryin'" duties while Stephen is out locking Tone-Loc!

A mean banger. This would have been a surefire hit in the streets. Either that, or these whiteys would have got their arses handed to them. Probably both.

Ready for MTV. Bring out the CD with parental guidance stickers.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

Brilliant stuff fellas. Thanks for bringing this unfinished track to life.  :D
Some really great ad lib lyrics from Steve as usual, great performance.

And thanks Zoltan for the fantastic mix and production.
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ray Brookes

Great production on this cool collaboration. Each one of you have added your own personal touch to create this rocky/hip-hop track.
Ray Brookes

BerryPatch

A collab for the ages! The music reminds me of a heavier Flaming Lips and the guitars/claps/cowbells sound awesome together. Timely lyrics on this too and very funny, better than Kid Rock!

StephenM

bumped because a lead by Zoltan was added to this and it is now at the top... here are a few notes from him about this

"The way i approached this whole shebang was:

- the backing track was nice
- when i heard your vocals i felt "Ok! Now we're talking!"
- your vocals are done in the OG style which probably comes naturally to you. Early era rap, the cross over songs, being not able to avoid MTV. So THAT set the scene
- i wanted the solos to be somewhat "bad", but not so bad that they're out of place. In the vein of Fight for your Right (Beastie Boys song with Kerry King solo. Which is really bad btw) AND Tone Loc Wild Thing (that samples EVH Jamies Cryin')
- i treated the backing track like that was the PROPER backing and everything else was "sampled in" (except the vocs). So the guitar solos, licks would be kinda low fidelity and somewhat out of place, but at the sametime trying to fit in. Just not 100% perfect
- the gear (MPC's etc) at that time were mostly 12bits (some even 8bits). Not full CD fidelity. So i tried to mimic that. It's not perfect and kinda barely noticeable (the backing track would have needed to be done separately piece by piece. Drum elements bitcrushed to 12bits etc).

Oh this breakdown takes ages. I just tried to make it more like it was made outside the box, and more like "inside MPC" with the help of some vinyl based samples.

I played some solo stuff in three different "sessions". First one was the one you heard. I was just trying to feel the thing and avoid playing too "normal", or blues. The second session was when i found that "grab the string and pull it out of the fretboard and let it stuck and then quickly let it go" idea which is the sound(s) that ends the first solo section. The third session was when i managed to play it (in a somewhat simplified manner).

In the end results it's not that noticeable. One could have done the same sound in different ways :D Ha!"

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Zoltan

Ha! My weird breakdown ended up here :D

Sorry for the bump, but i must add that all the cool leads are already in the backing track :D
The noisy bits are mine...
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Blooby

One of the things I love about this site are the Met's and other collaboration. Cool post. I loved the English police siren-like lick. That is some tasty playing on top of a smorgasbord of ideas.

Loved the abrupt ending with the half fill.

Blooby

TPB

Always love doing collabs and listening to them one of the reason I joined the site always figure it made me a better player Graet collab Guys
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away