Mbr mic or jack problem?

Started by Gnasty, October 19, 2010, 10:22:59 PM

Gnasty

I don't know what happened, but i was recording today with my sm57.

I've never had a problem before but for some reason i can't get it to record in stereo for me and it just happened out of the blue like that. All the settings are and were the same as always. The adaptor and mic were never touched till NOW...When i put it in mono i hear left -right,  but in stereo i hear the right pan only. My LOC is in its position. My plug-in power is off.  It works in stereo on external mic and guitar.

I really don't want to record in mono cuz i can't hear myself as good at all to do what i need to do.

Can someone help me out ??? 64?  i'm not panicing :-\
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Do you have two SM57s or one? If you've only got one, then you can't record in stereo. You could record to two tracks but you'll get the same mono signal on each of them. That's not stereo. So it would make more sense to record to one track if you only have one mono mic.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Did i drink too much today? ..Hic!...I was recording all day today and could of sworn i had it working in stereo. I know i can copy the tracks and stuff, but it just sucks for recording in mono because i can't get a great feel for the song because i have to turn it down. I think i'll have to go buy another sm57 now. A used one!

Thanks 64. :) .I've been recording and practicing Guitar direct lately so I guess i tend to forget stuff when its time to press buttons again. oh well, This thread should help others not be a drinking recording moron. What would i do without 64 and the site?

Probably just look at these all day

Click to view image which may be inappropriate in some situations (work, family, etc.)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on October 19, 2010, 11:13:54 PMI think i'll have to go buy another sm57 now.

If you're only recording solo vocals with it, a second mic would probably be a waste of money. There's little to be gained by recording a single voice in stereo. It usually makes more sense to record vocals in mono with a single mic, then pan them where you want them in the stereo field. On the other hand, if you're recording two or more vocalists simultaneously, or an acoustic guitar, piano, drums, etc., then recording in stereo can produce a much better recording.

Quote from: Gnasty on October 19, 2010, 11:13:54 PMI know i can copy the tracks and stuff, but it just sucks for recording in mono because i can't get a great feel for the song because i have to turn it down.

I'm not sure what you mean. What do you have to turn down? The playback tracks?

I have a hunch that the problem you're having may come down to panning. On my BR-864 and most of the other BRs, you can adjust the panning of the input. So, when recording from a mono microphone, you'd just set the input pan position to centre so that you can hear it from both channels. But I just had a look through the Micro BR manual and I don't see anything about input panning. Maybe the Micro BR doesn't allow you to change the input pan position. If that's the case, and your mic is only connected to one side of the stereo mic input, then the signal will probably be panned to one side, making it difficult to monitor. Are you only hearing the vocals from one side when you record?

What sort of input adapter are you using to adapt your SM57 to the Micro BR's stereo mic input? Is it a Y adapter with two separate input jacks? Or is it a single adapter that divides the mic signal between the two channels? If it's the latter, then you can combine the signals into one channel by pressing the Track button a second time. See page 43 of the Micro BR manual under the heading "If INPUT is set to LIN (line) or EXT (external mic)". That should give you a stronger mic signal and set the panning to centre.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 20, 2010, 09:58:12 AMOn my BR-864 and most of the other BRs, you can adjust the panning of the input. So, when recording from a mono microphone, you'd just set the input pan position to centre so that you can hear it from both channels. But I just had a look through the Micro BR manual and I don't see anything about input panning. Maybe the Micro BR doesn't allow you to change the input pan position.

This was actually the subject of one of my first ever posts here - on the MBR, there's no way to internally pan the input. One of the few limitations of the magic little silver box, I suppose...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on October 20, 2010, 10:14:02 AMThis was actually the subject of one of my first ever posts here - on the MBR, there's no way to internally pan the input. One of the few limitations of the magic little silver box, I suppose...

That's what I was afraid of.

If you connect something to one side of the stereo mic/ext input, then press the track button twice to record to one track rather than two, does it pan the input to centre?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Yes it's a limitation but you can't have it all i guess for a cheap and great recorder. Maybe they will upgrade it and make new features like that if they make a new model. i do have the Y adaptor. I'm not doing vocals yet. I'm mic ing my amp again. It's been a while since i did it so i just forgot about that limitation.

Quote from: 64Guitars on October 20, 2010, 10:20:18 AM
Quote from: cuthbert on October 20, 2010, 10:14:02 AMThis was actually the subject of one of my first ever posts here - on the MBR, there's no way to internally pan the input. One of the few limitations of the magic little silver box, I suppose...

That's what I was afraid of.

If you connect something to one side of the stereo mic/ext input, then press the track button twice to record to one track rather than two, does it pan the input to centre?

Yes it does do that 64. I just have to really adjust levels for the song im doing to record tracks and hear myself and the song at the same time and get the feel.  It's not loud enough sometimes for my blistered rock concert ears i guess. I can figure it out from here and thanks for the input 64 and Cuth. I couldn't find this info in the manual so it's good to have your advice.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity