Chop Suey, System of a Down cover

Started by ODH, October 31, 2023, 02:34:36 PM

ODH

Chop Suey
Time:
0:00
Volume:
21stCentury (banner image missing)

I was researching songs for the 21st-century fest and I came across System Of A Down, Chop Suey. I thought nobody would be stupid enough to take on this song. Turns out I am that stupid.

I was fascinated to find out how the song worked. I learnt that the guitar is drop C tuning - all strings are tuned down two stops with the low E another two stops down.

I tuned my guitar to this tuning and the skinny strings on it rattled and buzzed like bastards. I had to buy new strings and restring the guitar (actually the other guitar, the Harley Benton).  I think I will leave the HB in this tuning.

Also I had to learn a new technique for playing the heavy riffs.  A nice young man on the YouTube showed me how to.

There are five guitar tracks, all played on the Harley Benton. Also, GarageBand drums, bass and keyboards and two vocal tracks. 14 tracks in total.

I am very pleased with myself that my gnarly old hands were able to play the riffs on this song.

There are so many good rock songs to play from the century, and I hope to play some more before long.Chop Suey.mp3
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

man this is really firken rocking my arse off... I am grinning like an idiot going wtf? 

I am laughing so hard... this is so good.... and a great mix Nick...

as cool as this is the vocals are smokin!  balls to you bro!  it's killer

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Geir

Oh my. This is fab. What a song to take on!

You've done it extremely well!

The youngsters on YouTube can only show you so much. The hard work is all you

Well done
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Jean Pierre

indeed, it's fab.... magnificent recording
I love the very surprising sound-breaking effect

the saturated sound is great, what treatment?
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Zoltan

ODH you're my kind of idiot! :D

Such a lovely man. And a crazy song.
I know the song. I don't like the band and i don't like the song :)

I also hate the kind of metal that combines Cannibal Corpse with Backstreet Boys. This isn't that particular style, but i had to mention... Style like that does bring a strong case on A) the kids are neutered, and B) Rock is dead (I don't mean the actor).

*gets off his high horse*

The amount of pain you're willing to endure for the fests is admirable. Buying new strings? Who has time for that? A drop tuning? That's vile!

You really showed them young'uns! I think you've deserved your cheese spray!(*

(* I do know this is mostly a USA thing :)

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Pete C

14 tracks, that took some effort but paid off in the end. Great mix !

I think the technique you've learned (low tuned strings and plenty of distortion) is known as "chugging"

Can we expect more now you've bought the strings?  ;)

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

ODH

Quote from: Pete C on November 02, 2023, 07:37:45 AMCan we expect more now you've bought the strings?  ;)

Pete

I'm leaving the strings on and tuned down but I'm not planning any chugging songs in the near future, tbh

I have wholly failed to figure out how to add a picture of the guitar in my posts, but here is a link to one.
Guitar + strings
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

StephenM

Quote from: ODH on November 02, 2023, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: Pete C on November 02, 2023, 07:37:45 AMCan we expect more now you've bought the strings?  ;)

Pete

I'm leaving the strings on and tuned down but I'm not planning any chugging songs in the near future, tbh

I have wholly failed to figure out how to add a picture of the guitar in my posts, but here is a link to one.
Guitar + strings

that Paul is so pretty!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Yeah, reading Zoltan's comment made me chime in again...

I would never listen to stuff like this on my own... when I hear it out my head bobs ... I get why so many like it... but it never really got in my psyche..

however some character from the UK has.... he goes by the moniker OVERDRIVE DISTORTION HYPERACTIVE

However I think this rocks

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

SE

Wow,is this just cool, big respect on the writing and recording, metal!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80