God Didn't Say A Thing

Started by StephenM, September 15, 2023, 06:02:37 PM

StephenM

God Didn't Say A Thing
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi,
This is a song that I heard on a Rockie Lynne CD.  The song credits are Rockie Lynne, Lane Turner, and Kevin Douglas.  The key he did it in was a bit high for me so I found a cover on you tube that I actually like better by a lady named Loretta Jent. 

This I have been working on a really long time... because it is not an easy type of music for me.  I actually did the guitar using C# and F# kind of progression (the progression she used, but it wasn't much guitar)... 

I think my favorite part of my version is the keyboards ( I transposed down one half step so I could use a C and F kind of thing)... they are 2 tracks I play off the Casio using a piano and an organ setting. 

I recorded this using Loretta's track as a guide (I don't know her).... however the tempo was a bit too slow for me to make it work... I did learn all the parts that way though... parts of the progression kicked my butt but I finally figured it out...
I decided to re do the recording with a different strategy.  I knew the song enough to do it on my own.  So I used about 12-15 pbm faster with a 4/4 time cowbell metronome and started with a trem guitar (Firehawk as I broke yet another string on the Les Paul)... I was able to sing along to keep myself in the right place. 

Then I added vocals, drums, bass, a bit of a distorted guitar, piano, organ. 

The recording uses the Zoom L-20 mixed on Aucacity and the music uses some waves plug ins... the vocals I cleaned up in Audacity and took to Bandlab for some additions of effects (auto tune etc)... then I added them to the vocal mix in Audacity.... I mastered this in the waves using the Abby Road TG (whatever that is)... I used a preset called "make it pop"

Lots of eq tricks here as well... I don't know if I know what I am doing but I sure am doing it good (as Trevor said in one of his songs...)

overall I think this is kind of innocent and really shows my lack of polish as a musician and singer but it does have some great energy in it I think.

Tired and worn from cryin, she knelt beside the bed and prayed I know you've got your reasons for why not me instead.  She was just a little girl, you're supposed to be a King.  She waited for an answer God didn't say a thing. 
But the sun kept shining, the rain kept raining.  Birds kept flying.  Children kept playing.  Flowers kept growing.  Rivers kept flowing on and on and on. 

He was sitting in the chapel, when the nurse came in the room.  She said they found a donor, we'll be operating soon.  He bowed his head the earth stood still and tears rolled from his eyes, thankful for the miracle and

the sun kept shining, the rain kept raining.  Birds kept flying.  Children kept playing.  Flowers kept growing.  Rivers kept flowing on and on and on. 

This life we live is bound to bring its share of pain and suffering but that don't mean he doesn't hear our prayers.  And I don't know the how's and why how some are healed and others die but I believe with all my heart and soul.  That he loves us more than we could ever know. 

He was praying in a garden, while his friends were fast asleep.  Pleading with his father, father take this cup from me.  In an act of love and selflessness he said your will not mine.  When the stone was rolled away there was no one inside. 

the sun kept shining, the rain kept raining.  Birds kept flying.  Children kept playing.  Flowers kept growing.  Rivers kept flowing on and on and on. 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

je ne connaissais pas cette chanson du coup j'ai écoutez differente version sur YT Stephen, you did a great job setting up the recording and mix, and the song is really good.
Thanks for the lyrics, which I was able to translate into French

Ah! the ways of God (we are right to say it) are impenetrable and his unconscious instruments come to throw themselves into our legs like rooks in a game of skittles. - (Louis Pergaud, La Chute, in Les Rustiques, village short stories, 1921)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Pete C

That's really good Stephen. A complete change of style but you did a great job. Lovely vocals and backing !
I heard this earlier just on my tablet and noticed how good the mix was through its speaker but on my PC with headphones on the mix sounds really good.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Ray Brookes

Beautifully done, Stephen. Cool vocal delivery and great production. The keyboard touches work so well and nice drumming too.
Ray Brookes

thetworegs

An excellent vocal the keys work a treat beautiful production clear as a bell

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

BerryPatch

Man! Excellent work on those keys, a very beautiful combination of piano and organ. I dig your mellow vocal on here too and the bombastic drums are very sweet. Great job on this cover!

Zoltan

The whole performance is so delicate and pretty. Still it's the vocals that really shine here. The song itself is great too and you're doing it right. It's a honest straight to the bone type of a performance.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

Mike_S

Lovely song Steve. I must check out Rockie Lynne, I know you posted something in the what are you listening to board but I never got round to checking him out yet. Anyway, top job on this. I think you did a great vocal. They are pretty touching lyrics - you did them proud. Good job overall.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

des0free

Not familiar with, but I enjoyed this. I'm impressed by those who can figure out songs by ear.  I have to admit that without being able to look up at least the chords online I'm lost... though I can sometimes work out a small lead or keyboard melody. Though I guess there are apps now that can analyze audio of songs to tell (a best guess for) the chords.  Anyways, nice job on a slow song - slow songs are hard!  (smart idea to speed up a little!)

recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR