BR 800 is Nine Years Old — Still worth considering?

Started by Ted, August 03, 2019, 04:26:27 AM

Ted

I've been considering upgrading from my Micro BR-— after all this time. I was thinking I'd look into the latest in the portable BR-series — the devil I know. Surely there have been several new models added since I stopped paying attention.

Nope!

If I'm not mistaken, The BR-800 came out in 2010, the MICRO BR BR-80 in 2011, and there's been nothing new since, and everything else has been discontinued (BR-8, BR-532, BR-600, Micro BR, BR-864, BR-900CD, BR-1180/1180CC, BR-1200CD, BR-1600 CD).

Yet the BR 800 is still selling new for $550 US. So, is it still worth considering? I really only need the basic features to which I'm accustomed with the Micro BR, but I'd like to be able to create and tweak drum patterns, pitch correction, and the stereo mics.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Pete C

I'm in the same dilemma Ted - had my BR600 for 12 years now and keep looking at what I could upgrade to or buy to replace it if it stops working. I just can't get my head round using a DAW so ideally I'd want another standalone recorder. There doesn't seem to be much else on the market apart from the BR800 and some of the Zoom recorders. I've considered the Zoom R24 as it seems the only Zoom one with a built in drum machine but from watching tutorials I'm not sure the drums are as easy to use as on the Boss products.
Boss don't support the BR600 any more so it doesn't work with my PC on Windows 10 so anything I record I have to export to an old laptop with Vista then transfer on a memory stick to my PC to tidy it up on audacity and convert to MP3. The laptop's on it's last legs too ! Interesting to see what recommendations you get !

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

i love my br800 and rarely use my microbr now, tho i do use it as a mic for vocals. is not as instantaneous as the microbr, so my work rate is longer when creating a song, however my songs might not be any better but they are certainly better produced.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

The TASCAM Digital Portastudios are worth considering. You can get the 24-track TASCAM DP-24SD (announced in 2015) for only $50 more than the 8-track BR-800. It doesn't have a drum machine, audio interface, or built-in mics but otherwise seems like it would be better than the BR-800. Here's a comparison of features:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/compare.php?items=(BR800,DP24SD)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the BR-800. It's a great recorder. And if built-in mics, a drum machine, and portability are important to you, then the BR-800 might be the better choice. But for my needs, the DP-24SD is better. I don't sing, so the lack of built-in mics isn't an issue. I don't care about portability. In fact, I prefer a larger, heavier machine that will stay put on the desk/table. And nowadays, I prefer to create my drum tracks in software. So the DP-24SD wins hands down for me. But everyone's needs are different.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Pete C on August 03, 2019, 04:39:22 AMBoss don't support the BR600 any more so it doesn't work with my PC on Windows 10
Why doesn't the BR-600 work with Windows 10? I would have thought that Windows would recognise it as a standard storage device and you'd get a BR-600 icon on the desktop which you could open to transfer files or whatever.

Quote from: Pete C on August 03, 2019, 04:39:22 AMso anything I record I have to export to an old laptop with Vista then transfer on a memory stick to my PC to tidy it up on audacity and convert to MP3.
Have you tried accessing the memory card directly using a USB memory card reader connected to your PC with Windows 10? That will work just fine and it's a lot easier than using two computers and a memory stick. See this message.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pete C

Thanks 64 ! Must have missed your response in 2017 about the memory card reader ! Ever since I've had Windows 10 my PC just doesn't recognise my BR600 when I connect it so the card reader does sound a good option.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

So here is the deal...in my opinion. If you want/need the drums and or effects and want to keep a small footprint then Boss is the only way to go. The br80 is an excellent machine with a few manageable dissapointments. Mostly the inability to adjust volume during mixdown. That is not an issue with the br800 I believe.
I had the opportunity to watch Geir record us with his and it seems very comprehensive and easy to use. I think it has loop effects for chorus and reverb which is awesome and 4 inputs if you need them. I would so get one but it just seems a little too much for the car.
Now if the lack of drums and effects are not deal breakers the you should entertain the Tascam units. I have both, the dp008ex and the dp24sd and love them both. The 008ex is a great unit comprable to the MBR/br80 I guess. Its an old school 8 track with 2 inputs and simultaneous 2 track recording which I love. 2 excellent built in mics, superior to boss I think. It does have reverb and some mastering effects but not nearly what boss has. Easy to use, smallish and its nice to have nobs to turn for mixing. No V tracks but there is a work around.
The 24sd is a beast but spectacular. Loads of effects and functions. Great sound and somewhat easy to use. Very old school feel with new school quality.
I would just pass completly on zoom. Thier menu system is such a pain in the ass. I think the learning curve to get quality is too time consuming.
All this of course is just from my experience and completely my own opinion. Good luck and let us know what you do.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ted

Quote from: Hook on August 04, 2019, 05:40:38 AMSo here is the deal...in my opinion. If you want/need the drums and or effects and want to keep a small footprint then Boss is the only way to go.

Thanks!

I have GarageBand on my Mac. I also have a Korg nanopad for making my own drum patterns. But I like an all-in-one unit because I don't like spending so much time at my computer. I'm also afraid that my Micro BR might die one day.

I'm still mystified as to why Roland has not updated this product line in eight years. they probably will, as soon as I buy a BR 800.

BTW: Greetings from Ethiopia. I'm on a layover.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

IanR

Hi Ted,

I started my recording "career" with the Micro BR, went on to the BR 800, which came with a free version of Sonar. I learned to use Sonar and kept buying equipment. Now, I don't have any Boss or Roland hardware and do all my recording through a Presonus interface and use Studio One (DAW) to mix and master my tracks.

It does take time to learn but using a DAW is a much better and easier way to manage recordings. I have also added a control surface to assist with mixing. I don't think the hardware gets in the way, in fact I think it facilitates the process.

BTW: I still have my BR800 but it is currently for sale on Reverb, at a good price, if you are interested.

Best wishes with finding the right solution for yourself.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ted

Quote from: IanR on November 10, 2019, 12:22:55 AMIt does take time to learn but using a DAW is a much better and easier way to manage recordings. I have also added a control surface to assist with mixing. I don't think the hardware gets in the way, in fact I think it facilitates the process.

BTW: I still have my BR800 but it is currently for sale on Reverb, at a good price, if you are interested.

Thanks!

I'm still interested in a portable all-in-one unit that lets me spend less time in front of a computer screen. I'm starting to suspect the reason that Boss hasn't come out with a new model in nine years can be summarized in one word: iPad. For me, even that might be too screeny. So maybe I do need to pick up a used BR800. For the time being, I can afford to wait. Having stuff shipped to Madagascar is a pain in the butt. Plus I have a friend with a BR800 who isn't doing anything with it as far as I know. I think I have an opportunity to try before I buy, if I want to take advantage of it.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac