Drum workflow

Started by leighelse, February 07, 2016, 01:27:13 AM

leighelse

I've had my BOSS BR-1600 for a couple of months now. I've managed one recording with the built in drum sequencer, but the unit has developed a faulty F4 button, which prevents me saving new drum patterns (and makes it hard to get audio off the unit via USB or CD).

Necessity is the mother of invention, however, and I have developed a drum workflow that works well for me. I've only tested the final piece of the puzzle this afternoon, and I thought I'd describe what I'm doing in case it helps someone else.

I've been creating drum tracks on my PC. I use Hydrogen, but more often I start in Onyx. Onyx lets me sketch out a song and hear a rough accompaniment with a drum track: I can sing along and be sure the key and tempo are right, and that I haven't skipped a bar anywhere. I then export the resulting MIDI file into Reaper, strip out the accompaniment tracks and finesse the drum track in the editor.

I bought a USB->MIDI cable for NZD6.00 (GBP2.75 or USD4.00). I plug the MIDI IN into the BR-1600 and set up MTC by following the user manual. I plug the MIDI OUT into my keyboard's MIDI IN, which has a number of good drum kits (I could use a soft synth on the computer as an alternative). Then when I press PLAY or RECORD+PLAY on the BR-1600, Reaper will play the MIDI file through the keyboard (or soft synth).

The good bit, which I only confirmed this afternoon, is that synchronisation is persistent. That is, I can record the drum track onto the BR-1600, and then track the rest of the song without having to use the computer at all. But if I later need to tweak the drum track it can be re-recorded using the same technique with complete accuracy: just press Zero on the BR-1600, press Home in Reaper (just to be sure) and then RECORD+PLAY on the BR-1600.

To test this I've been playing back the original drum recording alongside the new one, and they're dead in sync from beginning to end of a five minute song.

I'm hoping the F4 button will be fixed in about three weeks, but this is proving a good alternative, and opens up a wider range of drum and percussion sounds as well.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Hook

Sounds like a lot of work Lieghelse but I'm glad you found a way to get what you want. If I'm not going to play the part I really like GarageBand (iPad/phone app) drums and drumjam (also app). I just set my tempo and use their random feature to find a starting rhythm. I then hit the random button on the changes as I listen to the tune. I never know what's coming but that excites me as if I had a really talented and creative drummer. It might take a few takes and sometimes I end up layering a few takes but I love the drum sounds and  enjoy the process. Seems like your really getting the hang of the 1600, I hope you get that button fixed.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

kenny mac

I realy like the process of creating the beat through garage band.
I often use the throw the dice thing and builds on that.