BR-1600CD

Started by Scooterflash, January 09, 2016, 05:55:45 AM

I have owned my BR-1600CD  since 2011.  I have the printed operator's manual as well as the DVD operator's manual.  Even with those, the learning curve is very steep.  In fact after 4 years, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of the BR-1600's levels of complexity.  Maybe that's just me and my own shortcomings.  But I am thinking of replacing it with the Tascam DP-24SD, because I've read it's simpler to operate.  My main focus of attention is to record many of the 200 songs I have written over the past 30 years.  I am a guitarist/singer/songwriter, not a recording studio engineer/producer, although I do have a lot of experience with mixer boards and mixing tracks to the final mix down.  I am tired of trying to navigate through the Boss small monochrome, hard-to-see view screen.  I want to spend my time on making recordings of my music, not fumbling my way through time-consuming many-layered options.  I agree with the shortcomings already mentioned in this thread:  

* Unable to change files into WAV format which is pretty much the standard file format for music.

* It will nor record on cheaper CDs, you must buy the expensive, top-of-the-line Japanese made CDs or it won't record properly.  

* It's use of a fixed, low capacity, hard drive, (it is definitely low-capacity, if your trying to record 150 songs with full     instrumentation).   It should be using a removable 32 Gig SDHC card like the Tascam, which means no limitations on memory.

* The fact that Boss no longer makes the BR-1600CD, which means no more software updates, rendering it latent and out-of-date.

* The steep learning curve that never seems to end.

* Small monochrome, hard-to-see view screen.

* Other issues as well.

* ...because of the above-mentioned design flaws, and I want to buy a digital recording mixer that is a little simpler and faster to operate, possibly the Tascam DP-24SD (or 32).  I would love to hear of your experience and the short-comings of the Tascam DP-24SD if you have owned and used one.  Any information would be greatly appreciated

bruno

Hi - as a user of the 1600 - have thought about change to Tascam - however things are not always greener......

First point - converting to WAV??? I do this all the time, you do this via USB Export - it creates a WAV of any of the tracks, and then you can transfer to a computer via USB.

This disk space, not tried this - but you can put a bigger disk in and partition it into 40G drives - I have an 80G drive (that's how it came), filled in 1 partition, and 1/2 way through the next. When I fill the machine up - will simply backup onto external drive (via the very slow USB) and reformat. Have thought of installing an SSD, but nobody has done that as far as I'm aware as yet - theoretically should work, but until you try it ...

My research for the tascam - there is a detailed thread on here discussing - and the machine is not perfect, it has its own limitations - but is still very, very tempting....

Show stoppers for me are lack of loop editor (particularly for drum loops) - and no drum machine (as far as I'm aware) - so I would need some form of drum machine or computer to generate - a right pain for how I work.

Also I've read that the Tascam has an issue recording at 96K as it can't stream to the SD card fast enough - again a right pain. I believe users are waiting for a firmware fix. I am still really tempted by the Tascam though, despite these limitations.

NB this site is tends to be more about the music, and not really for selling - I'm not a mod though. Just a heads up. Hope it goes well.

Hope that helps.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hook

Admin frowns on adds so not sure how long your post will be up. I haven't really done much with my DP24sd but it's not as easy as say the dp008. Your still looking at a relatively small screen, though a little better but no monitor. You lose all your good guitar effects with Tascam so you have to set up your own chain. I find the effects that it does have difficult to figure out but I haven't tried too hard. Not sure that the DP24 will solve your problems but good luck non the less.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

as hook has pointed out, we do not allow any form of advertising on this site, i have edited your post accordingly.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

chip

Quote from: Scooterflash on January 09, 2016, 05:55:45 AMI have owned my BR-1600CD  since 2011.  I have the printed operator's manual as well as the DVD operator's manual.  Even with those, the learning curve is very steep.  In fact after 4 years, I still haven't gotten to the bottom of the BR-1600's levels of complexity.  Maybe that's just me and my own shortcomings.  But I am thinking of replacing it with the Tascam DP-24SD, because I've read it's simpler to operate.  My main focus of attention is to record many of the 200 songs I have written over the past 30 years.  I am a guitarist/singer/songwriter, not a recording studio engineer/producer, although I do have a lot of experience with mixer boards and mixing tracks to the final mix down.  I am tired of trying to navigate through the Boss small monochrome, hard-to-see view screen.  I want to spend my time on making recordings of my music, not fumbling my way through time-consuming many-layered options.  I agree with the shortcomings already mentioned in this thread:  

* Unable to change files into WAV format which is pretty much the standard file format for music.

* It will nor record on cheaper CDs, you must buy the expensive, top-of-the-line Japanese made CDs or it won't record properly.  

* It's use of a fixed, low capacity, hard drive, (it is definitely low-capacity, if your trying to record 150 songs with full     instrumentation).   It should be using a removable 32 Gig SDHC card like the Tascam, which means no limitations on memory.

* The fact that Boss no longer makes the BR-1600CD, which means no more software updates, rendering it latent and out-of-date.

* The steep learning curve that never seems to end.

* Small monochrome, hard-to-see view screen.

* Other issues as well.

* The reasons I am selling are because of the above-mentioned design flaws, and I want to buy a digital recording mixer that is a little simpler and faster to operate, possibly the Tascam DP-24SD (or 32).  I would love to hear of your experience and the short-comings of the Tascam DP-24SD if you have owned and used one.  Any information would be greatly appreciated

Get an I pad instead. The best thing I ever got. I had the BR1200 and yes it's great but it is slow and the screen is next to useless, I still have my BR80 which I found easy to use and much quicker, also you can get some good recordings from it too. The I pad lets you do more and do more a lot more quickly. I have the I pad 4 it works well with all IOS apps. The only problem is getting the stuff off it onto CD. I never thought of an I pad before but now I have one there is no going back. That's my 2 cents worth.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.