Re-arranging my studio

Started by Farrell Jackson, January 12, 2015, 08:52:53 AM

Farrell Jackson

My New Year's resolution is to get rid of all the clutter in my studio and set it up to better fit my needs as a solo recordist. In the past my studio was also the 4 piece band rehearsal room plus I would also hire out to record local musicians so I needed as much open space as possible. Nowadays it's just me in there plucking away and recording by myself. My biggest goal in the new arrangement is to have all my amps at the ready instead of having to haul them in and out of the studio. I want a plug in,  put up a mic, and play set up. I also want to move my recording desk more to the center of the room for a better mixing environment and to have more room for micing an acoustic as I sit in front of the desk. Right now my back is to a wall which makes it a bit cramped sitting at the controls while holding an acoustic and being careful not to bump the mic.

At the local hardware store I found some metal racks on sale for $29 each. They are 34" wide x 72" high and have up to 5 shelves but I'm just using 3 shelves. 4 of them fit perfectly across the 11 1/2 ft. wall. I spent yesterday putting them together and putting them in place. The problem with having my amps (and guitars) scattered throughout my house closets and garage....I forgot how many I have. So even with the new shelves it's going to be a challenge fitting them all in but I'm determined to make it work.

So my studio is out of commission until I get it set up as I want. I got a scolding from my wife when she saw the results of G.A.S. addiction all in one place, lol!

Here are some pictures of my progress so far. The place is still a mess but hopefully when I post the next set of pictures it will be all neat and tidy.

G.A.S. is good!

Farrell

recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Blooby

I feel somewhat better about my G.A.S. leanings. Looks awesome and drool-worthy. Please continue with images.

Blooby

peterp

nice!
You can never have enough amps!
or is that guitars, or was it pedals...

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Quote from: - Newton Minow, head of FCC 1961"Television, America's vast wasteland"

cuthbert

Wow, that's quite a collection of amplifiers, Farrell!

I'm on a similar quest to organize my office/studio and get as many of my instruments on a shelf or other proper place, but it still looks like a bomb went off in here so no pics yet.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

bruno

Holy sh&t - thats a lot of amps! If you buy a Kemper, you can profile them all :-)
Wow - I'm seriously jealous, so many amps ....
You have so many Fender amps, and a MusicMan amp .....ooohhh.
B
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Flash Harry

I have a bit of room available Farrell, you're welcome to store a few of those at mine...
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

My first thought was "wow! how can you end up with so many amps?" ... this is mainly because I'm firmly a "I want lots of guitars, instead" sort of guy, and I kind of think "I only really need one amp, if that, and modellors do the rest..."

But then, I realised, I actually have five guitar amps myself! All hidden away in corners or the loft...

Cool display, anyway :)

But, tell me, do you actually use them all? Or are some kept for sentimental purposes? (Four of my five are ::) ;D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Farrell Jackson

Quote from: AndyR on January 18, 2015, 02:06:47 AMMy first thought was "wow! how can you end up with so many amps?" ... this is mainly because I'm firmly a "I want lots of guitars, instead" sort of guy, and I kind of think "I only really need one amp, if that, and modellors do the rest..."

But then, I realised, I actually have five guitar amps myself! All hidden away in corners or the loft...

Cool display, anyway :)

But, tell me, do you actually use them all? Or are some kept for sentimental purposes? (Four of my five are ::) ;D)

Thanks Andy! I'm not a hoarder...really I'm not  ;D I have used all of them in a recording at sometime or another. I do have my favorites so they get used more than the others do. Some I've hung onto because they are vintage collector items. The problem with having them stored in closets, corner nooks in the spare bedrooms, and in the garage was that it was a hassle dragging them out for set up in the studio and then having to put them back if it wasn't the right sound and then going through the process again with another amp. That was a big deterrent to getting the amp sound I wanted for a particular song. Now with them all in the studio on the racks and connected I just place a mic in front and flip the on switch. If it's not the right sound, I just move the mic and do it again. It's taken me years to gather them all. I've had the 1966 Fender Bassman the longest, since 1969.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

danieldesete

Question for all who feel jealous:

what are those orange balls on the second pic ?

Cheers Farrell
I'm not jealous at all, you deserve all that gear,
Daniel
hou hou ha ha