Using Effects Pedals with BR-1200CD

Started by Roytoy, April 19, 2013, 04:04:11 PM

Roytoy

Hi guys. I've been gone a while recording in a bigger studio (my band's) but now I'm home on the weekends and back to my BR-1200. Here's my question: Will it hurt my BR-1200 if I use my own distortion and delay pedals(at the guitar input) if I pay attention to the input volume? Some of the songs I'm messing with go from clean to dirty and back and I like to just change on the fly to get everything in one take. I tried it earlier today and it seemed to work, but I would like to know if this is going to cause any damage before I continue. I have a "Hot Pot" volume control at the end of my chain and I have good control over the input. Thoughts?
recorder
Boss BR-1200

64Guitars

It won't hurt anything if you're careful with the level. I would suggest connecting your guitar directly to the BR at first to set the input sensitivity. Then unplug your guitar from the BR and connect it to the effects chain, turn down your effects chain to minimum, then connect it to the BR. Now gradually turn up the level from the effects until the BR's input peak indicator lights just occasionally, then back it off just a touch. Your input level should now be about the same as it would be directly from the guitar.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Roytoy

Thanks 64G. I went back and tried some more of the built in amp settings and found some things I really like. I'll just mess with both ways for now and have a blast. Good to be back on the BR-1200, it's such a great machine. (now that I know how to use it, although I have a long way to go).
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Roytoy

I decided to just go in and edit the onboard effects on the BR. I got a good clean tone and a good lead tone set up and was able to finish my song. Once I get it mastered and onto a cd I will figure out how to post it on here. Thanks for the help!
recorder
Boss BR-1200