Importing and Placing Wave Files in a song

Started by badrail, February 26, 2012, 12:02:23 PM

badrail

This is an extension of my topic concerning 1gb Flash Cards, which I thank all who offered advice (I'm learning!!) I have a song I'm working on titled Waiting on the Rain, which I want to end with an imported wave file containing a set of wind chimes and another wave file with some distant thunder. I understand how to get these 2 imported into BR files, but how do I program them to start at the last measure of the song? Thanks for any help you can offer.

64Guitars

Pages 170 and 171 of the BR-600 manual describe how to import a WAV file. At step 6, you can specify the measure where you want the WAV file to start. By default, the display reads "S001-1". The "S" means you're specifying the starting measure, the "001" is measure 1, and the "-1" is beat 1 of the measure.

Obviously, the first thing you need to do is determine which measure your song ends at or where you want the WAV file to start. So play your song and watch the display. When it gets to the part where you want the WAV file, take note of the measure number. Then import your WAV file by following the steps on pages 170 and 171, specifying the desired measure in step 6. For example, if you want the WAV file to start at the start of measure 120, then in step 6, move the cursor to the first "1" in "S001-1" and turn the TIME/VALUE wheel until it reads "S120-1".

You might find it easier to do this in Audacity as it's more visual and gives you better control over the placement of the sound effect. You can export your song as a WAV file and import it into Audacity. Then import your sound effect WAV file into Audacity too. Use Audacity's Time Shift tool to move the sound effect around by dragging it with the mouse. For greater accuracy in placement, zoom-in on the area where you want to place the sound effect. Select Export from the File menu to export a mix of the song and the sound effect as a WAV file.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

badrail

Okay, that sounds simple enough, thanks!  (I guess it pays to read the freekin' manual....duh!)

badrail

One more, are thee instructions for the BR Song Librarian? Could not find them on the download link (or is it as simple as a point/click deal?) I have it downloaded, just wondering how to use it. Also, this just stores songs/tracks in the BR format for later use, correct?  (again, I'm learning, have not been to any schools since the early 90's, no need to until now...) Thanks!

64Guitars

Quote from: badrail on February 27, 2012, 10:27:45 AMare thee instructions for the BR Song Librarian?

I never wrote up any formal instructions. It's pretty straight-forward and simple, so I'm not sure that instructions are necessary. It only has one button. Just select the song you want to copy and click the button. The rest should be fairly obvious. You'll find more info in this topic:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=12493.0

QuoteAlso, this just stores songs/tracks in the BR format for later use, correct?  (again, I'm learning, have not been to any schools since the early 90's, no need to until now...) Thanks!

Yes, it stores individual songs in their native BR format so that you can restore them at a later date and continue working on them just as if they'd always been on the BR. It lets you move your finished songs off to the computer so you can delete them from the BR to free up some space for new songs.

Roland provides a way to backup and restore the entire memory card but that's often inconvenient. We usually just want to backup and restore an individual song, not the whole card. BR Song Librarian was written to make that possible and easy to do. Also, when you backup an entire memory card, the song folders have cryptic names like SONG0000.BR0, SONG0012.BR0, etc. There's no easy way to identify which song is stored in one of these folders. But BR Song Librarian lets you give long, descriptive names to the folders in which your songs are stored so you can instantly recognize them later.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

badrail

Okay, I was able to import one of two wav files and put it where I needed it. The second one is not cooperating. I am doing the same steps as you stated, and what the manual page 170-171 state, but the second wav (which is a wav file) will not work. I Clicked and dragged the file to the USB folder, and it appears in the folder when I open it. When I did the safe-disconnect, a message came up on my br600 that said formatting (I think) and the bottom had some squares fill up from left to right (this was during the first uploaded wav file). The second file I am trying to upload the squares do not fill up, then I get a message of "Unsupported Format". I press enter and it takes me back to the import to which track screen. When I playback where the wav's are to start, the first one is there but not the second one. I am also giving them different track destinations of "T5/6V1 and T5/6V2" so they won't interfere with each other. Help! The second file is a wav file with the same specifications as the first, but it will not load. Sure would like to get this finished today, thanks!

badrail

Okay, more info: After the safe disconnect, I press exit, it asks "are you sure?" I press enter. It then shows Now Importing... and a Prog[ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ] which I guess is the progress of the importing. ON the second wav, nothing happens and I get a message stating: Unsupported Format! and a [left arrow] for enter. This takes me back to the import track location again. On the two wav files, I can play then on my computer, they sound great, but the second will not load. Again, help!  Thanks!

64Guitars

Quote from: badrail on March 11, 2012, 03:19:29 PMI get a message of "Unsupported Format".

You can only import WAV files with a sampling rate of 44.1kHz and a bit depth of 16 or 8 bits. Anything else will give you the "Unsupported Format!" error message. So it sounds like you need to convert your WAV file to 44.1kHz/16-bit before you can import it. Try using Switch to convert it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

badrail

I double checked and they both are 44.1 and 16 bit, I tried again and still no luck...

64Guitars

The only logical explanation for an "Unsupported format!" message on import is that there's something about the file that the BR doesn't like. So I'd try loading it into Audacity and exporting it as a 44.1kHz/16-bit WAV file (even if that's what it already is). Audacity will create a new file. Then try importing this new file into the BR. I've never had a problem importing WAV files created by Audacity.

This WAV file is a short sound effect, correct? If so, why don't you Zip it and attach it to a message here and I'll take a look at it. Zipping is necessary only because the board isn't currently configured to accept files with the WAV extension. Alternatively, you could simply rename the WAV file's extension to an accepted type (.mp3, .gif, .zip, etc).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website