Main Menu

Recent posts

Original Songs / Re: And Breathe
Last post by Ted - Today at 07:28:08 AM
If Songcrafters ever does a Yacht Rock Fest, you will dominate!

Quote from: funkyaxe on April 20, 2024, 02:37:58 PMI threw a little guitar at it.

I'll say you did. The guitar is mixed a little low for my ears.

It's a very cool backer. I like how the delay on the keyboard ping-pongs left to right.
Gear Lust / Re: Electro-Harmonix Ram's Hea...
Last post by Zoltan - Today at 07:19:01 AM
The man who speaks to himself is either mad, or a moron.
With this preface i'm showing that i, yours truly in fact have the gift of prophecy!

I shall quote my earlier words of "wisdom" so i'll save you some time.

>The main thing. It's got the Ram's head logo on it!
Yes, but it was also kinda small and poopy looking.

>Also i like the fact that it was first issued in 1973 and then the production stopped in 1977. There's >something magical in those numbers.
Fair point. But what if i tell you you can add a number "47" and some magical vintage transistors into the mix? Yeah, i'm all ears now...

>And third. It can be had for a very cheap price
Let's forget about the cheap for a while. Life itself is not cheap. So maybe "choose life"?

>Is it the best fuzz ever? No. Is it the second best? No.
Not even the third. But what if i tell you there's a one that can hang in the top-3? Bollocks you say? Just hear me out.

> I kept the Ram! I came to the conclusion that if i'd traded it away i'm sure i would have bought another Muff at some point. So i dodget that bullet.

And there it is! The voice of prophecy! The feeble voice of wisdom, muffled by the stronger voice of prophecy!

I dodget nothing. I gained a new friend. Let me introduce the Ram that out-Rammed the ram!

Meet the Wren and Cuff 47/73 Rams Head Big Muff w/ vintage BC 209 transistors.

Does it sound / feel like the EHX Rams Head? Call me crazy. It doesn't. It doesn't feel the same. The Ram is bigger. It's better.

Likely to keep? Yes!

What happened to the old Ram? Well, that little fella had to go to the greener pastures. I traded it away to something that i also traded away. It's the circle of life. *cue violins*

What else hangs in the top-3 you might ask? I got a new one holding the forth. Something with maybe Fuzz Face and Tone Bender going for it. Vintage with a room to play. I shall write about that at some other time.

wrenandcuff.jpg

Some info about the pedal for those who care:

In 1973 there was something magic that happened in the world of muff. A pedal that looked the same as all the big silver Ram's came out, but there was something unusual under the hood. What later became known as the "47" Ram, the name had nothing to do with the year 1947. The moniker was attached to the pedal because of a heavy array of components using the number "47". There were 470pf, 0.047uf, 0.47uf, and 0.0047uf, caps abound, and even a handful of 470k resistors fed into the numeric flow.

Why was this?

Are there messages hidden within? Can we find a prediction for the end of days hidden inside this numeric map?

Probably not. The most likely answer is that those were what EH had lying around at the time, so they put them to good use in one of the early circuits. Not the most exciting reason, but this happy accident did result in an amazing pedal that is one of the most sought after Muffs by collectors the world over. Adding to the mystique... The UFO style black-top, gold leg transistors, probably given this distinct look to indicate mil spec consistency. These could be partly responsible for the deep rich tone of the 47.

The tone?

Lots of fuzz, lots of scoop, tons of low end. This is not a quiet, refined, and focused muffer. It sounds, well.... Vintage as f#*k. I'd say it falls somewhere between our Tri-Pie and White Elk. Its got the rumbling lows that some crave, and the impolite gain of an old school pedal. Bass players that love a less tight, more blown out amp tone from a muff will love it, as will guitarists that want that Gilmouresque tone. Oddly, I have never heard that David used a 47 version of the original pedal, but for me, when I kick this on, I hear THE tone of many of those recordings.

The good and bad?

We gots 500pc of these. That sounds like quite a few, but with each pedal using 4 trannies, allowing for a few bad parts in the bunch, there most likely aren't going to be many more than 100 of these made by Wren and Cuff in the near future.

Original Songs / Re: Wake up while you can
Last post by Farrell Jackson - Today at 07:11:40 AM
The organ sounds great. What are you using to get this fine sound? Your vocals and melody are pure gold. The bass has a cool thump that nails the bottom down with ease. The guitar riff keeps the song grounded in a good way. Great songwriting, recording and mix, Karl!
General Discussion / Re: RIP Dickey Betts
Last post by Blooby - Today at 06:59:13 AM

Just a heads up that Andy Aledort (Guitar World writer and alum of Dickey's band for over a decade) is on Greg Koch's latest Chewing the Gristle podcast. It is dense with Dickey stories.

Blooby

Original Songs / Re: Wake up while you can
Last post by hardlock - Today at 12:17:44 AM
A fine song all around! Dig how it's put together. Great listen. 8)
Original Songs / Re: Screwed - Jazzshed origina...
Last post by hardlock - Today at 12:12:10 AM
Fun ride! 8)
Original Songs / Re: Two Chord Blues (Hilary)
Last post by hardlock - Today at 12:08:07 AM
Good one! 8)
Original Songs / Re: Why Don't it Rain on You?
Last post by hardlock - Today at 12:06:30 AM
Great rocker! Enjoyable listen - toe tapping all the way! 8)
Original Songs / Never Stop Loving You
Last post by des0free - Yesterday at 11:21:35 PM
This is a total redo of a song previously called "Made up my mind", with changed instrumentation, increased tempo, more natural singing, and added backing vocals (inspired by what StephenM does). I used my new Fender Acoustasonic Player Tele (open box discount score) for all the guitar parts, Fender Mustang Bass, and Black-Friday-Deal Steven Slate Drums (pure 60s preset). Mic is AT4040. Recorded with Tascam US-2x2HR to Reaper.

Never Stop Loving You - by des0free
Lyrics (and chords, capo on 3rd fret):

Verse 1
C                      G
We've been together for quite a long time
F                      G
Living in the present, thinking we were fine
C                G
I like cars, and you like wine
F                        G
Thought we'd be together for all time
    C                        G
But we've been having trouble for quite some time
...F              G              G---
As years pass by, we see the signs

Chorus 1 (play twice)
C                  G
What am I gonna do if I stop loving you
F              G                  Am                G
...I just don't know, I just don't know, I just don't know

Verse 2
C                                  G   
Should we stay together, try to make it better
F              G   
...Not throw it away...
C                          G
You can drive my cars, and I'll drink your wine,
F                      G    G--- 
...I think I made up my mind

Chorus 2 (play twice)
C                    G
What I'm gonna do is never stop loving you
...I made up my mind, I made up my mind, I made up my mind

Verse 3
C                      G   
Looking back at life, I think we got it right
F              G   
...Most of the time...
C                              G
You'll always be mine, Till the end of time
F              G  G---   
...I'm a lucky guy...

Chorus (repeat and fade):
C                    G
What I'm gonna do is never stop loving you
...I made up my mind, I made up my mind, I made up my mind

Original Songs / Re: What's Wrong With You?
Last post by des0free - Yesterday at 11:04:51 PM
Guitar riffage is really cool, and the confident headliner lead vocal!  You 100% achieved your own unique and special style here. The one thing I connect it to is Peter Gabriel's vocals and Steve Hackett's guitars in early Genesis. Congrats on a great composition! Your production skills (and drum programming) are getting super honed now too!