Recent posts

Original Songs / Provisional Press
Last post by Rob Grant - Today at 05:40:13 PM
I had a problem trying to delete tho other file, which didn't upload. Hopefully this will work. Mel Hayler - Keyboards, guitar, mix, engineering, acoustic guitar  Rob Grant - Bass, drum programming, mid lead guitar
Original Songs / Re: John Smithblack - a song b...
Last post by Blooby - Today at 04:56:13 PM

This warranted a bump to say the least. Still a huge wow.

Blooby

Original Songs / Re: Things They Could Not Chan...
Last post by StephenM - Today at 04:35:16 PM
this is even slower than your usual...

BUT:

it has big impact... wow
Original Songs / Re: Hamster Wheel
Last post by StephenM - Today at 04:30:37 PM
fuck me with a pogo stick!  man... dude..

this is way above anything I ever read... or heard.

sure, the subject is one I am well aware of and have read some great things and seen wonderful commentary on it... but never, ever, ever as poignant and well delivered...

omg Ray!
Original Songs / Re: Spare Change (loose and lo...
Last post by StephenM - Today at 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: Jimmy McCullochEnjoyer on Today at 01:54:40 PM
Quote from: StephenM on Today at 09:17:33 AM
Quote from: Jimmy McCullochEnjoyer on Today at 09:05:46 AMThis was a fun one to play one. It's nice to have my 40 watt back and sounding better than ever.

welcome to SC Jimmy!  did you play on this?

I did. My name is John though. Jimmy McCulloch is the name of my favourite guitarist.

got it.... welcome John!  hopefully I will get to hear some of your tunes! 
Quote from: StephenM on Today at 09:17:33 AM
Quote from: Jimmy McCullochEnjoyer on Today at 09:05:46 AMThis was a fun one to play one. It's nice to have my 40 watt back and sounding better than ever.

I did. My name is John though. Jimmy McCulloch is the name of my favourite guitarist.
Original Songs / Hamster Wheel
Last post by Ray Brookes - Today at 01:46:27 PM
Two-A-Penny standing on the corner
Waiting for the nights first john
Telephone way out of credit
No chance to call anyone
Here comes Hotshot De Angelo
In his top-down pimpmobile
Checking on his chicks to see they're turning tricks
Got 'em all on his hamster wheel.

Gonna be a night for sinners
Gonna be a hot busy night
De Angelo keeping it all controlled
Everything nailed down tight
Some teenage boys cruising
Looking to make their first deal
Two A Penny using and losing
Stuck forever on the hamster wheel.

Two A Penny disappeared one night
Got into the wrong car
The window of fate left open
The door of fate left ajar
Here comes Hotshot De Angelo
A replacement close on his heels
Lying down, standing up or kneeling
Another stuck on his hamster wheel.
Original Songs / Re: Positivity-Original
Last post by StephenM - Today at 09:27:59 AM
Quote from: Johnbee on May 08, 2024, 06:46:09 PMThanks to all who listened and commented.  I really love when people comment. :-*

As to your question, Blooby-In one of his videos Joe recommended using delay instead of reverb and he suggested a particular setting.  He was right.  Reverb can actually muddy up a vocal. Using slight and subtle delay produces a much more pleasing vocal sound, at least to my ears.  Another tip I tried (not necessarily from Joe but from various tips over the years) is backing off from the mic.  I used to close in about 3 inches.  Now I've backed off to 5 or 6 and I started monitoring using the can on just the left ear, keeping the right ear off.  The pros do it that way and it produces a better result when you can hear your voice acoustically in one ear while electronically in the other.  I don't know why I never tried this before.  As I said, I've known for years that this is how the pros do this.  Now I know why.

:) John B

lots of pros sing very close to the mic... like an inch away with the pop filter close... there is no one right way to do it... just the way that works... I find singing at various angles to the mics (mouth angle) changes the sound... I generally use only 1 mic and it gets varied alot based on voice projection and placements etc... part of what I love about recording is experimenting... everything I am learning is already understood by millions of folks who are great at this.. I have been into copying vocal tracks and panning each slightly or greatly different with different effects on each... and the same with backers vocals... lots of experimentation... I tend to burn every bridge and keep almost no notes... and do it slightly different each time...and you already know that eq will really effect vocals and also the freq spectrum where most of the vocals sit... I am still a believer that mixing is every bit as creative as actually playing music or writing songs... and you can make yourself very different by this (and you are very different than almost anything going John)... I applaud your desire and your results... one of the things I love about the site is the music isn't all the same, as is most commercial applications... modern music is mostly mixed all the same way... for a reason.. it is what people are used to... most of it I cannot stand... honestly.
Original Songs / Re: Things They Could Not Chan...
Last post by Farrell Jackson - Today at 09:26:33 AM
A real cool song Willie. This one has a Tom Petty vibe to it and I dig that! Great vocals and guitars...the lead fills, volume swells and solos float along at just the right level. Excellent songwriting!
Original Songs / Re: Spare Change (loose and lo...
Last post by StephenM - Today at 09:17:33 AM