Started by Ted, January 08, 2023, 12:27:34 AM

Ted

Bootiful Day (34s) - Ron Besore
Time:
0:00
Volume:
NewGearFest (banner image missing)

Bootiful Day
Words and Melody: Ron Besore (a.k.a. Ron Whistle)
Arrangement: Ted
Recorded in MicroBR, Ron's Phone, whatever StephenM uses (Zoom R24?)
Produced in GarageBand for Mac
Tweaks in Audacity (high-pass filter, trimming, fading, loop preparation)

Ron Whistle: Vocals
Ted: lood guitar, electric guitar, SY-1 synth (guitar), bass, extra drum programming in GarageBand
StephenM: drums
Sexorcist: dubstep bass wobble (via Looperman)
It's a bootiful day.
It's a bootiful day.
It's a bootiful day today
In every way.
Come out and play.

Ted's New Gear: MXR Poly Blue Octave Pedal
StephenM's New Gear: Tama Imperialstar Drums

My friend Ron (guitarist for the Nutrients) recorded the vocals into his phone and sent it to me, asking me if I could do something with it. Sure. I was thinking something sweet and simple like Tennessee Ernie Ford – a strummy guitar, bass, drums. Done. Then Ron starts requesting drums like in "Firestarter," and dubstep bass sounds, and... and... all squeezed into a 30 second song – that swings. I hit up StephenM for drums, and this is what came out.

I used the new octave pedal on the lood guitar (octave up), the electric guitar (octave up and down, plus fuzz), and on the bass (octave down).

Big thanks to StephenM for the collaboration!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Zoltan

It draw me into it immediately! Clever and crazy. Now all we need is a longer version :)

Great use of tech and substances.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Reaper

thetworegs

Excellent brought a smile so early in a Sunday morning

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

StephenM

It's a happy and fun sound... and that voice draws you right in... but I really like the acoustic guitar and the fuzzy stuff that sounds like the song takes off into outer space.

I have to admit the drums sound good... Ted, you did some good mixing on this... later I will listen on speakers because it is early and I have on headphones...

and a really catchy song

booti ful  and thanks for including me Ted...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

This was short, but bootiful guys lol. Love that vocal, nice drums and I like the use of effects on the guitars.
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

Ted

Quote from: StephenM on January 08, 2023, 04:27:33 AMI have to admit the drums sound good... Ted, you did some good mixing on this

Beginner's luck? I'm more of a noob at mixing drums as you are at recording them. You sent me good raw material.

The last time I mixed real drums myself must have been around 1989, when I recorded my band on my 4-track cassette recorder. I think I used one mic, and one track. Our drummer (the now world famous Andy Ziker) just played the songs all alone from memory, with no reference audio, no clicks.

Here are some things that I read/watched recently before I attempted to mix your drums:

That was enough cursory information to ease my trepidation a little bit.

When I got the four files you sent me – one take recorded on four different mics – I figured out as best I could which track was which mic. Then (using GarageBand presets) I EQ'd each track to accentuate what drum was mic'd in each track, and to suppress what wasn't mic'd.

Then I adjusted the levels, and did a little panning to fill the space a bit.

Bootiful_Day_-_Drums_-_Kick.jpg
Bootiful_Day_-_Drums_-_Tracks.jpg

This was fun, a learning experience, and at the same time very much a production process that I am trying to get away from. I'm trying to do as much on the Micro BR as possible, simply – recording my sources wet, and spending as little time as possible tweaking how things sound after they are recorded. I spent a lot of my spare time tweaking this 30-second song, and have hardly touched a musical instrument since the last track was recorded several days ago.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Johnbee

Expand it, PLEASE!! I love it!
Sounds like Jed Clampett on vocals ;D .

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Bluesberry

Damn that's good.....I need more of this song.......I need it, crave it, want it........well you get the picture........more please

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

well damn Ted,
that is some cool work on those tracks...... and I was pretty darn confident that you could figure out or already knew what to do with them....
you rock man

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ron Whistle

Thanks so much for all your hard work Ted! Thanks for the great drums StephenM!