WARNING: phoney PMs claiming to be from Songcrafters Administration

Started by 64Guitars, April 07, 2010, 01:43:33 PM

64Guitars

Somebody in Russia joined the site today using the member name MichaelaBanks and tried to send a PM to each and every member of Songcrafters. Fortunately, the site's limit of 20 PMs per hour prevented most of these from getting through.

If you were one of the people who did get this PM, do not click on the link in it. It will most likely install malware on your PC. I haven't seen the actual message yet, but I've been told that it purports to be from an admin of Songcrafters (I assure you, it is not). It claims that you are responsible for spreading malware and, unless you clean up your PC immediately, your membership will be terminated. It has a link to a page that is supposed to clean up this malware. Do not click on that link!!! It will almost certainly install malware on your PC.

Of course, MichaelaBanks has been banned from Songcrafters.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

I think that 64 Guitars has some good advice, don't click on any link that is posted here unless you trust the poster. Most of the stuff is MP3 but there have been links posted too.

It's worth bearing in mind that there is a risk on line. If you do happen to get unlucky there is a good collection of willing helpers and advisors here to assist in the repair of the damage.

Lets be careful out there ;-) 

I got caught by a bit of a conspiracy tonight.
You know who you are guys, I love you all....
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Migs

I got an email from a russian girl yesterday.  I think she wanted to give me a virus.

Then there is the stupid girl who stayed at my place for a while.  I stupidly let her use my laptop.  There is so much malware and junk on it now (I think from her MSN account) that I am just going to trash it and reinstall everything.  I think my registry is kaput.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

IanR

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

64Guitars

It's happened again. This time from a waste of space using the name JoshuaEvanss. He's been banned. Ignore any messages you may have received from him. DO NOT click on any links in those messages. They will most likely install malware on your computer.

Other message boards have been hit too:

http://lirr.thermomods.com/index.php?topic=2732.30

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1174751&sid=57da358f4b4a0753736fc6efcfc23fa8

http://www.lewiscountybuzz.com/showthread.php?s=eee47f6d639fbb6ff586bf8bc9840ded&p=157363#post157363

As a temporary measure to make it a bit harder for these morons to spam our members, I've reduced the number of PMs per hour from 20 to 10 and the maximum number of recipients allowed in a PM from 10 to 6. I've also enabled a reporting feature in PMs. At the bottom right of each PM you will see a new link to "Report To Admin". If you get any suspicious PMs in future, click that link to report them.

Never trust any PM or email that tells you your computer has a virus, and never click on any link that claims to scan for viruses. These sites don't check for viruses - they install them!.

I'll try to find better ways of preventing PM spam so that I can restore the PM limits to their previous settings. Until then, we'll have to manage with the reduced limits.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

Nice response 64G. I'm glad you have the time to be vigilant.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Pete C

Just to warn everybody, I've received a PM from JoshuaEvanss claming that he's a forum administrator and that my PC is sending out spam and I'll be banned from Songcrafters if I don't click on the link he sent me which is supposed to be a virus/trojan scanner. I've reported the PM to admin.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Pete C

Sorry! Just noticed 64 Guitars had aready posted about JoshuaEvanss.
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800