Stereo recording

Started by Redler, May 25, 2008, 05:32:48 AM

Redler

Hi. Is there a big difference between built in mic or using two condenser  microphones (in singing)? I have two old TECT condenser mics, but i need some adapters to connect them line in...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

personally i dont think there is a need for recording vox in stereo, i always use the built in mic for vox despite having a number of expensive mics, the way i see it is one less wire to worry about, i do have a cheap set of stereo mics i got from ebay but i use them when recording say a live performance or ambient background noise.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

If you are recording with Micro BR or other device with reduced tracks, stereo vocal recording is a bit of a waste. I've used small condenser microphones with Micro BR for recording vocals and there isn't any big difference. The only difference I noticed with this microphones is something I think is related to phase. What happens is that the two channels are slightly desynchronized and the recorded stuff sounds a bit more full, like a very lite flanger or something was applied. It surely doesn't compensate the trouble of having to bounce more.

jkevinwolfe

For a single voice, recording with a stereo mic is adding a headache to the mix. They are really designed to capture several distinct, disparate sound sources, like a chorus, stage performance or small acoustic group.

If you normally work a mic well (as in moving slightly off or back to avoid popping Ps and Bs or to avoid overly sibilant Cs, Ss and Zs) then a stereo mic is useless. If you move a centimeter to either side you can get an irritating pan. And when you lean back to sing a little louder, phase changes make it obvious that you and the mic are now a distance from each other. These issues are not obvious with the built in mic.

The quality of the built in mic is also excellent. If you're not getting great results it means you're not using it to its potential. If you listen to Jim's (OldRottenHead) stuff posted here, you'll hear just how good the mic sounds. He really knows how to work it.

I own a hundred dollar Sony stereo condenser that I avoid using it for voice. It works fairly well on guitar, but I get a better sound off the acoustic pickup, so the stereo mic sits idle a lot.

Redler

Thanks for the all replies. I like the quality of built in mic and I'm now convinced it is enough. A few times I tried a single condenser mic and I need to use a pop killer (selfmade of iron wire and a sock). The built in mic doesn't distort voice so easily than my condenser mic.
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR